Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to get my Oe stock something to run on, I have looked hard at the whole concept of just building a scene for the trains to run through and have made the decision (initially at least) to build a scene for the trains to run through rather than pass through a station environment.

Why build a station? A simple question but one that is not asked very often when it comes to building a layout. Stations are a lot of hard work, and unless you are going to be doing a lot of shunting, could be superfluous to requirements.

Of course, Even though I only have 1 locomotive (at present) I will have a passing siding out the back for some operational interest!

Here are the initial pictures of the scene at one end taking shape. I had some polystyrene blocks that I have decided to use as the base of the layout. Admittedly they are pretty big, but they are reasonably light. In this instance I really am looking at building something that is not very expensive at all, kind of like getting back to the basic's as it were. The blocks are not small (150 cm x 60 cms) so at this stage the layout will be 3m x 1.2m. If I extend it the width will not change!

And here are a couple of picture of the nearly completed stake wagons. Still need another coat of paint and some weathering, maybe a load of logs as well. Train length looks good though.

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 3 Aug 2008, 06:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why build a station?
Why indeed - the sucessor to SL did not have a station at all, & it took some time when first viewed what was "missing".
It was a busy urban landscape with a variety of trains passing through, simple concept but it worked well.

I do like the way the trains are going through the landscape - have you managed to clear up all the polystyrene "dust" yet ?

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Brian,

Once the "hills" are cut to size I will vacuum the polystyrene "dust". Until they are all done, there is not much point, I will just make more!.

As I have got older, I have come to the realisation that model railway that have trains passing through the scene look better than when the trains are the focal point and there is no scenery in front of them. A very personal choice I know, but something to think about when doing scenery. I know that it is not to everybody's first thought, but I actually enjoy trains appearing and disappearing in front of you.

It going to be fun to build. It first exhibition is likely in August/September 2009, so I have a fair amount of time to potter around with it.

This is the inspiration behind the track plan http://www.mist-mittelrhein.de/MINEX/bild22_rb_minex.JPG. Scenically It will be similar, but I am thinking of putting a small halt along the lines of this on it as well http://www.schmalspurbahn.de/oybilder/teufel.jpg A good excuse to have the passenger train stopping out in the front!

I know mixing Württemberg and Saschen is not really the done thing, but I am allowed to do something different occasionally.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts