Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get lots of upset LNER fans, I know the real loco class.

I am about to embark on a new project, I have on order the body shell for a B17/5 ready to convert a rtr loco into this rarely seen loco (I never have)

My plan is to have it to run on Milldale when I take it out for its public debut next September at the Boston Show, to run with mine & Andii's extensive LNER stud.

I wanted as many different things to keep the punters engaged in viewing my layout as long as possible, and as most people you hear refer to the A4 as a 'Mallard' class, I decided to do a 'Mini Malllard'

Now this is a project which has taken along time to get off the drawing board, but with the help from others out there, Dean Siding has been tracked down and I can move on with speed.

I was going to convert a Hornby B17 but have decided that I would prefer loco drive, and as Thompsons' B1 was all but the same with smaller drives, I am going to use a Bachmann B1 and shoe-horn it in.

The names are rather limited as only two locos where streamlined, I will go with East Anglian. It will be in Doncaster Green.

Now this is where I could do with your help, I need some colour photos if anyone has please. All I can find is B & W

I will post pics once work has started

Brian
CME Milldale

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
"Steam Days" issue dated June 2007 has a feature on the B17. Unfortunately neither photo of the streamlined members of the class is in colour. One of the photos is of 61659 East Anglian in September 1950. The caption states that it had been repainted after the war in LNER Apple Green. It was de-streamlined in April 1951. In the photo, the tender carries the full "British Railways" lettering. The valencing was removed in 1941.

But you already know that don't you?

David

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 9 Nov 2008, 19:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I will go with East Anglian. It will be in Doncaster Green.

Brian
CME Milldale

A quick look on RailUK sugests you should go with Darlington Green
as that's where it was built in June '36.
However I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgable than me in such matters.

Andii

·
Ex-member
1,051 Posts
Brian;

The Crawley LNER Volume (again!) has a nice ex-works shot - but in B&W of each of the B17/5's. Unfortunately, 2870's is the better of the two - it must have been a variable September in 1937, as City of London is in full sun, while 2859 is not quite as sharp. I can post here or email privately if you don't have access to these.

Scott

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone out there got a Bachmann or replica LNER green B1 that they have no further use for, it needs to be a working chasis, only every time I find one on ebay, some g*t keeps out bidding me at the very last second. I am happy to pay sensable prices, p&p or meet at Warley

Brian
CME Milldale

·
Registered
91 Posts
QUOTE (steamrailuk @ 13 Nov 2008, 21:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I havent found a photo yet but I remember this painting print of one of the streamlined B17's
B17 print

From what I can tell it is in LNER Apple Green, lined in black and white stripes with black side valances.
I've included this link of a model of the LNER P2 as this has the nearest match to what the B17/5 livery looked likeLNER P2. I'll keep looking around for any more images that may be of any use.

I also read this and I dont know if this will be of much use but the trains they were built to haul, the East Anglian. It was 2 six coach set 8 wheel teak coaches and were fitted out with similar interiors to that of the Silver Jubilee.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I remember back in the first half of the 80's, someone published an artical on a B17/5 convertion from a Hornby Mallard body on a B17 chassis. If you could find a copy, it might be a help with your conversion.

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Looks the same as my Golden Eagle, only shorter. reminds me of a joke,

Man goes into a pub with a dog and asks if anyone wants to buy a Greyhound?
I says "it's a 'king Bulldog"
He says "It ran into a wall"

Andii

·
Registered
642 Posts
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 18 Nov 2008, 16:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Man goes into a pub with a dog and asks if anyone wants to buy a Greyhound?
I says "it's a 'king Bulldog"
He says "It ran into a wall"

Andii

Andii that has got to be one of the worst jokes I've heard for a long time. I'm still groaning as I write this. Please can you reassure me you are not going to give up your day job. Just so I know you are going to be ok. lol.

The loco does look good and I am interested on how this project turns out.
What I want to know about it though is how much difference is there between the 2 models is it that much?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 18 Nov 2008, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andii that has got to be one of the worst jokes I've heard for a long time. I'm still groaning as I write this. Please can you reassure me you are not going to give up your day job. Just so I know you are going to be ok. lol.

I guess I'll have to work on some new material, you're a harsh critic Harkins

QUOTE The loco does look good and I am interested on how this project turns out.
What I want to know about it though is how much difference is there between the 2 models is it that much?

A4 is a 4-6-2 to start off with where as the B17/5 is a a 4-6-0 so it's a lot shorter than the A4

Andii

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Darlington works is open for business!

All the needed parts are now in stock so converstion has begun, will post some pics later once I have uploaded them from my phone

Work completed so far, chassis front ground own to fit in streamline casing, tender chassis de-motored, new mountaining points made, new draw bar made, all then assembled and tsted for close coupling and to check for cornering should run on 2nd rad curves

Brian

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As promised, some pics of 'the work'

The medley of parts

B1 chassis modified to to the body shell, piston housing reduced in width and motor casting ground down for the nose

Hornby B17/4 tender de-motored

Tender body offered up

Loco body offered up

Close coupling

Loco & Tender paired

Holes for hand rail knobs drilled out, front sprung buffers fittedNeed to remove the moulded tender buffers and replace with sprung ones, then its off to the spray shop for a coat of undercoat to show up any areas that need work, then apply the top colour and fine detailing, lining

BrianCME Milldale

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wish I was modelling, have had to go work to earn some money to buy more stuff!

Its the first xmas party tonight so will be at work till stupid o'clock then back on for lunch shift sunday, so none done tommorrow either, still will try and get some in next week

I feel the need for spraying!

Brian
CME Milldale

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 29 Nov 2008, 13:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking good Brian. there seems to be allot of modeling going on this weekend!

Peter

Must be something to do with Warley last weekend, people got the goodies they wanted and have made a start this weekend.

Looking good Bro
Will look great next to my Golden Eagle. You just need to bite the bullet and stump up the cash for some of those nice new Hornby Gresley coaches to do it justice

Andii

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was planning on using the ones you are going to stump for

Brian
CME Milldale

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Christmas parties are now over (thank god, I hate the sight of turkey dinners!) and time to get back to East Anglian

or that was the plan, got out the spray kit, compressor, loco dusted off, misses out the house to her mothers, tea in mug, ready........ s*@t where's the paint, hunted high & low. In the garage, shed and bedroom (dont ask) and no sign of it, have come to the conclusion I forgot to buy it, bugger.

I have rung all the local model shops, by local I mean with in sensable driving, the one at Skeggie dont stock paint (or much of anything really), J & N in Louth has closed, Hewins in Grimsby only do Hornby/Humbrel and Tamiya, and Caistor closed at 3 and I would never of made it in time

I am now totally bummed out as I was really in the mood for getting some paint on the loco

And as today was my last day off till after Christmas (oh joy!) nothing is going to happen now till next year

So its time to surf the net instead

Brian
CME Milldale

1 - 20 of 56 Posts