Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Wanted to share my mini layout that I made from scratch.
The sole reason that I made it is to take pictures of my locos and rolling stock on it for categorizing and archiving purposes.
Enjoy:

Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I like that idea & it looks good !

I think I'll build one myself - on second thoughts I'll get my mate to build one for me !

Thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yr quite right Doug I should have said Diorama.

I am at the stage of extensive planning of my layout these days and the word "layout" seems to be haunting me.

thanks
Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 4 Apr 2007, 18:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How do we define layout and for that matter diorama?

How about ;

A layout is where you can operate a locomotive and/or train to simulate real life action(s).

A diorama is where nothing is designed to operate or move under it's own power.

Just my thoughts.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 4 Apr 2007, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How about ;

A layout is where you can operate a locomotive and/or train to simulate real life action(s).

A diorama is where nothing is designed to operate or move under it's own power.

Quite a few shelf-layouts are just large railway dioramas. I do realise that it is perhaps possible to get some pleasure from moving the locos up and down the shelf. Space, cost and time do play a large part in this and I'm not anti the small layout, but I think if you ask a kid what a layout is, he will say: "a place to run the trains", and he's thinking: full speed

I think a layout is place where the running of the trains takes precedent over the scenery. A railway diorama is where the detailing of the scenery (including any loco and rolling stock) is the main objective.

You can have layouts with detailed scenery and you can have railway dioramas with moving locos.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 4 Apr 2007, 18:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like that idea & it looks good !

I think I'll build one myself - on second thoughts I'll get my mate to build one for me !

Thanks for the picture.

Strangely enough I have a partially completed diorama (the base of which was picked up free at ashow in Pratts Bottom - honest!). This is currently used as a backdrop for my bus models when being photographed. However having seen that pic I feel some tracklaying coming on - won't be tomorrow though, I have an appointment with the Planet Thanet Beer festival.

Regards

John

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd tend to agree with the definition of a layout being where a train can move and a diorama as being a static photo-set. A lot of small layouts are not much bigger than the diorama featured in this thread, but they do have prototypical shunting or train running which is what makes the difference.

However, the diorama is a good medium to practice new scenic techniques on and, as in this case, makes an excellent background for photographing one's models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts