Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My last question was on converting a Kato Ae 8/8 for DCC. Upnick managed to find me a great site that described the DCC conversion perfectly.

Now I want to convert a 6 year old Minitrix Crocodile (12127) to DCC. It actually has a Selectrix decoder but that won't work with current DCC systems - mine is NCE. I'm planning on installing a TCS M1 decoder which will fit quite easily.

The issue I have is that while I can see the connections from the trix decoder to the motor (grey & orange) and lights (2* red), it appears the connections from the pickups are via 1 wire and using the Chassis as the common for the other pickup and the lights.

Clearly, there is some isolation work to be done and I am hoping someone has done something like this already.

Here's hoping !!!!

Frank

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
HI Frank,

You could wire the M1 decoder exactly the same , use the white for the front light and yellow for the rear light - the lights will be on Half wave power , powered from the chassis grounded pickup.
However they will work correctly on DCC but not DC

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zmil.

If I understand your comment correctly, I would ignore the blue wire completely and earth the black wire to the chassis. The red wire comes from the isolated pickup??????????????

Frank

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
One thing to watch with some Minitrix locos with Selectrix decoders is the output of the functions. Some Selectrix decoders are dual-mode and support DCC as well as Selectrix, though my experience of them is that the DCC control is "average, barely adequate for a quality loco".

In the Minitrix Kof, the decoder function output is at a lower voltage than that provided on a "normal" DCC decoder. If this is the case, you need a way to drop the voltage, which is typically some resistors. If space is tight, it means squeezing in surface mount parts, though metal film resistors might be small enough (and typically have smaller bodies than carbon film).

Personally, I'd be using a Zimo or CT chip in the loco, the control possible with those is absolutely superb.

- Nigel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nigel.

Actually, I intend to ditch the Seletrix decoder completely and replace it with the TCS M1. I already have the decoder ready to go in - just need to be sure of the wiring.

Cheers,
Frank

·
Registered
10 yrs in the hobby
13 Posts
Hi Guys,

My last question was on converting a Kato Ae 8/8 for DCC. Upnick managed to find me a great site that described the DCC conversion perfectly.

Now I want to convert a 6 year old Minitrix Crocodile (12127) to DCC. It actually has a Selectrix decoder but that won't work with current DCC systems - mine is NCE. I'm planning on installing a TCS M1 decoder which will fit quite easily.

The issue I have is that while I can see the connections from the trix decoder to the motor (grey & orange) and lights (2* red), it appears the connections from the pickups are via 1 wire and using the Chassis as the common for the other pickup and the lights.

Clearly, there is some isolation work to be done and I am hoping someone has done something like this already.

Here's hoping !!!!

Frank
Hi Frank,
I am planning to convert also a Minitrix N crocodile to DCC. I am also using an NCE. I was wondering if the TCS M1 decoder worked out well for you?

Thanks and regards,
Jaime S.

·
In depth idiot
7,961 Posts
I was wondering if the TCS M1 decoder worked out well for you?...
Hi Jaime,

Welcome to this forum. Never say 'never' but given that 'Frank' last posted on this site 11 years ago, chance of his replying on this question is minimal.

My suggestion, decoder design has improved hugely since, and TCS decoders were second rate even back then. I would recommend exploring Zimo's range, a modest price for class leading performance. I cannot give a specific decoder recommendation since I don't do N, but the range is very comprehensive.

·
Registered
10 yrs in the hobby
13 Posts
Hi Jaime,

Welcome to this forum. Never say 'never' but given that 'Frank' last posted on this site 11 years ago, chance of his replying on this question is minimal.

My suggestion, decoder design has improved hugely since, and TCS decoders were second rate even back then. I would recommend exploring Zimo's range, a modest price for class leading performance. I cannot give a specific decoder recommendation since I don't do N, but the range is very comprehensive.
Hi, Thank you so much for your reply. Yes will explore the Zimo range. first time I got a decent reply regarding DCC.

Kind regards,
Jaime

1 - 9 of 9 Posts