Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the trix online catalogue at

http://www.trixshop.de/index.php?sid=ff192...a08d371fe5&

there are various models of the Taurus electric locomotive but the prices vary wildly.

EG model number's 12250 (129euro), 12251 & 12252 (95euro) and 12770 (189euro).

Looking at the specs, all have 2 flywheels, 4 driven axles, 2 traction tyres and can pick up from the catenary. My only explanation is the origin of the production run. Some wagons which were around £22 a pop are now in the Alpine/DB wagon sets at £13.60 each pro rata.

Maybe Goedel has an idea, I checked your site but the section about the Taurus was offline.

thanks

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 30 Oct 2007, 23:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>there are various models of the Taurus electric locomotive but the prices vary wildly.

EG model number's 12250 (129euro), 12251 & 12252 (95euro) and 12770 (189euro).

Looking at the specs, all have 2 flywheels, 4 driven axles, 2 traction tyres and can pick up from the catenary. My only explanation is the origin of the production run. Some wagons which were around £22 a pop are now in the Alpine/DB wagon sets at £13.60 each pro rata.

Maybe Goedel has an idea, I checked your site but the section about the Taurus was offline.
Hello Simon,

I am indeed our self-appointed N scale Taurus expert - sorry about my website - the server was compromised by a hacker but is all back up and running now I believe! There are at least three different grades of Minitrix Taurus, which is reflected in the price.

Minitrix 12550 - SETG 1116 912-5 has a special woodchip effect paint coat which makes it more expensive, but it is not a super detailed model (note the completely silver pantographs and grab handles at the ends not painted, also the insulators on the roof holding up the principle conductor wire are not painted/made separately (they should be grey)).

Minitrix 12551 - Wiener Lokalbahn AG Taurus & Minitrix 12552 - Mittelweserbahn GmbH Taurus are essentially like 12550 but without the special paint coat so cheaper - effectively the exterior is made to hobby standards, while inside the mechanism is as good as a top-of-the-range Taurus, such as...

Minitrix 12770 - HUPAC Taurus - this has a splendid paint job, with painted pantograph assembly (the lower half), painted grab bars and grey painted insulators on the roof holding up the red wire. Thus this is the most expensive, and of course it is aimed at Swiss modellers who live in a country where everything is more expensive, so why not models too? This standard of detail is classified as 'super detailed' by Minitrix, even if the buffers do look a bit suspicious on every one of their Tauri!!

Essentially the differences are external and cosmetic - the exact same mechanism is used on the inside, since it is cheaper to mass produce one mechanism than produce different versions of mechanism for different prices, (except very cheap Tauri with power on only two wheels and no lights!).

There is no reason why you can't paint the roof insulators grey and paint the grab bars silver - it is what I am doing on my Tauri! When I get round to updating my website a more detailed discussion of Tauri from Minitrix and Hobbytrain would be a good idea...but will take me until at least 2008! Haha. There are other websites that catalogue every Taurus made by either but I have yet to find a complete and thorough analysis...perhaps someone can do one? The information on Eurofima Prima! is scattered about at the moment, maybe I can collate it somewhere.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Goedel.

Seems a lot more for a few minor details!

Is this the page you were thinking of?

http://www.br-101.de/start.php?n=2&s=f...vat&typ=182

There is a picture of one in the Porsche livery but pulling wagons loaded with transit vans. In another picture, there is a train with those car transporter wagons made by Minitrix, however there are 12 cars loaded per wagon rather than the 8 supplied in the sets.

Have you seen the "Mini Cooper" Minitrix set, one Taurus in "Mini Cooper" livery and three car transporter wagons with 24 cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts