Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen on fellow forum this asks whether you missed something that you regret.

I did miss a Bachmann GCR Director Butler Henderson so bought a Mons, then of course along came Butler Henderson my dad's favourite loco who he said one day he was left on the footplate to take it to Doncaster on his own. so I did buy it and have both.

I would like an SDR 0-4-4t by Bachmann but have never seen one, even the ordinary ones have sound so are expensive.
an 2-8-0 7F SDR No 88 also a miss. although the 2-8-0's were only ever black.

Otherwise not so bad I have had most of what I ever wanted that has been mass produced.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I thought that I had found a counter measure for 'FOMO' (fear of missing out) by pre-ordering new models from one of the leading mail order companies. That worked quite well until Hornby changed the rules with the result that of the many 2020 new model announcements, I ended up with just the Rocket train pack.

Once I had got over my annoyance, I think Hornby have saved me from myself as my collection was getting out of control and I have not tried to source the models either direct from Hornby which seems to be their preferred method for remote buyers, or when they come into stock.

David

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’ve missed loads that I regret!
Not just new stuff - back in the UK when we could go to swapmeets and the like, I was once hanging my nose over a loco I really liked on one stand, it was something exotic (foreign!) and I always spent my meagre savings on stuff I needed rather than this item I liked.
After months of dreaming about it, I could finally afford it and lo! When I caught up with that trader, it had gone.
Lesson: If you see something you like, get it.

I think I’ve always been attracted to the lovely “Prussian” blue of the S&DJR and I do have an old Dapol 4-4-0 (with a truly awful mechanism) so I too was tempted by the modern models, what to do? One cannot buy everything!
Cheers,
John E.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Lesson: If you see something you like, get it.
Had the same experience myself. Fortunately I am now a position to be able to indulge that 'need' once in a while.

David

Reactions: Ruffnut Thorston
1 - 5 of 5 Posts