Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides Model Railroading one of my OTHER favorite hobbies if you can call an obsession a hobby, is the collecting and reading of books. Recently I went to a couple of my local bookstores looking for a little light reading after finishing Konstantinos Staikos' The History of the Library in Western Civilization, Volume 2 of 5 and came upon a British mystery novel by Edward Marston entitled The Excursion Train. This is the second installment of his Inspector Robert Colbeck Series, the first being the Railway Detective. Never one to leave a bookstore without at least an armload of books I also picked up a copy of Graham Greene's classic Orient Express and Locomotion - Two Centuries of Train Travel by P.J.G. Ransom. The reason I mention this is not to excuse any delay in the article on photography or even the lack of progress on my "real" model railroad (more on that in another thread) but rather to seek out any suggestions of books written in a similar vain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My other hobby is Family history, and that is an Obsession. So far I have no Railwaymen in my family, so I can't blame anyone for my interest in Railways.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My other hobbies include reading (have the two marston books suggested by Dennis David,both VG.there was a good one in the Edmond Blackstone series based around the Liverpool and Manchester railway,can't remember the author-age y'know)
Alongside reading and railways other interests are photography,languages and bringing up 5 kids(thankfully now the end is in sight!)
No wonder I get Headaches!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
In addition to model railways, i enjoy motor bikes, one is a 1958 Triumph 650 thunderbird (hence my name "Thunder") and a more recent triumph, a 1200 trophy touring machine, needless to say these machines have taken me to many train fairs, and great railway locations, and also enabled me to get to those out of the way places of old disused railways, where you can just stand and stare and imagine what was there manys years ago, ah just bliss.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I like reading books about the history of rail (amongst other subjects) especially the vast amount which is no longer in used. There is an absolute load of it in Yorkshire and due to most of the viaducts being listed structures signs of it are literally everywhere. A useful source of info regarding where lines used to run are old A to Z's which depending on the age showed disused lines as well as those still in use.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The book Leeds Termini gives an insight into the bickering, fighting and rivalry between companies that shaped the railways in Leeds To my mind the descendants of these squabbling factions must all be members of Leeds city council! Its interesting to see aerial photos from the 60's before the remodelling as compared to now.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Leeds Termini
Could you post the title and full ISBN? This sounds like good background reading for my interest in West Riding '50s steam

David

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 14 Feb 2006, 18:27)>Leeds Termini
Could you post the title and full ISBN? This sounds like good background reading for my interest in West Riding '50s steam

David
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The full title is...
Great provincial stations
Leeds termini...
the isbn is1-899624-27-9 it cost me £6.99 and is published by challenger
Another book i recently bought is ..
Great Northern engine sheds volume 3.
Yorkshire and Lancashire
isbn 1-899624-26-0 that also cost me £6.99 from a clearance book shop in Bury but i have seen it advertised in one of the railway book shops for the same, a bargain compared to the rrp of £23.99! It has a good bit about Ardsley station and some eye opening info about Bradford including an aerial photo from about 1963 which took some scrutinising to see how it compares to now. Hpoe they are of some use to you.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Great stuff - thanks! :))

David

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a book I picked up at the NRM on a recent trip...

Originally published in 1957 by the British Transport Commission, this is THE definitive work for anyone wishing to master the use and understanding of steam locomotives. As a result of a unique partnership between Ian Allan publishers and the Bure Valley Railway, this invaluable reference book was finally reprinted in 1998, after a gap of over twenty years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts