Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Does anyone have any information about interior colours for Mk 1 coaches? For that matter, any other pertinent information about interior detail would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Keith Parkin's book on the Mark 1s has some detail and includes both monochrome and colour photos of some interiors. Colours and finishes differed according to class, time of building, place of building, and manufacturer or BR workshop, plus the period you are interested in. The early builds htended to have wood finishes on interior walls while later builds had laminated plastics in brighter colours but early builds could also have been refurbished and overhauled with newer materials. Similarly, upholstery colours tended to be what was available and in fashion at the time.

So, in short, it is difficult to give a detailed answer with such a broadly cast question. One could probably fill half a book with details of interior finishes and colours!

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
Just to expand a little on the information from SR man. The timbers used to veneer the interiors were typically tropical hardwoods, and very attractive when varnished. Depending on the timber used, anything from a light flesh tone to a rich mid brown could be seen. Narrow (roughly inch wide) chromed strips were used to cover panel joins. The interior window fittings, door handles and other metal components for tables and the overhead luggage racks were also chromed. Ceilings were a rich cream colour, floors various shades of grey and brown. Upholstery was in moquette, two colour combinations stand out in memory: a fairly dark red with a woven black and grey pattern (2nd Class) and a deep blue with a woven mid green pattern (1st) usually with an antimacassar on the headrest.

If this is OO then 'scaling' the timber grain would result in fairly uniform tone, and the chromed cover strips would pretty much disappear. It's neat to have a bit of variation in the interiors from coach to coach. I think it worth painting the seats, and adding the antimacassars in first - a pale grey looks better then white by being more subdued. I have a buffet done with the 'plastic interior' as I remember one such from my youth, pale cream and grey interior, but no claims for anything remotely accurate!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Not that it's relevant in OO, but early MK1s had string luggage racks and later variants had the aluminium slat type (I only know this as a friend of mine has a TSO with them fitted - the other interesting thing is that only a quarter of it is non-smoking, how things change!)

Regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for your help. I will check out the suggested book and use the detail supplied in 34C's comprehensive response. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
That pic illustrates the "Trojan" upholstery pattern. It was one of the common finishes in second class.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts