Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am looking for what Model Railways clubs exist in the Leicestershire area. I found two clubs near leicester but both clubs email addresses bounced back.

Hopefully someone had give some pointers.

Cheers

Alistair

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hi Alistair, I'm Arethusa AKA Andy and am a member of the Melton Mowbray Model Railway Club. We meet once a week on a Monday evening in out building in the carpark of the Harboro' Hotel at 7.30. Our club layout is portable due to the fact that we don't have our own building and is in the early stages of construction. Our scale is OO and the time period is in the BR steam era. You are welcome to come along to see us any time you like, let me know what you think. Regards, Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi andy,

Thanks very much for replying.

Sadly I am based west of Leicester but do not drive so Melton Mowbray is a little far. Was hoping something a little closer to Leicester itself or west of it. I can see me setting up my own club consisting of me lol

It is always the problem finding premises.

Cheers

Alistair

·
Registered
342 Posts
QUOTE (Porter @ 17 Jan 2006, 17:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Where is the soar valley model railway club based now? Cause i am from leicestershire

based in Burton on the Wold I believe it is part of a complex of farm buildings no idea of the contact info though !

·
Registered
122 Posts
i just tried going on to this website as i found them to be generally very good: http://www.irail.co.uk and then looked up model railway clubs for leicestershire and only found syston listed.

if you do end up setting your own up locally, i may be able to give you some tips, because i set wisbech mrc up last year and had good luck in my search for members and a place to meet. we had our first meeting within three weeks and now just over a year old. in a couple of weeks time, i am being interviewed on bbc local radio station about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now this is promising.....I'm from Melton Mowbray and there's a club right on my doorstep! I'll be seeing you soon Andy, monday if I can pluck up the courage to walk into a building full of strangers who know a lot more about modelling than i do!!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
D9004, Please do pop down on Monday evening you will be made welcome and just so as you know the first Monday of the month is the night we get it out to play with, sorry that should be the first Monday is running night we're serious railway modellers not over grown school children after all.
Arethusa

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
D9004,

did you pluck up the courage to go down?

Its not a bad club, some members are a bit set in their tracks but anyone with a strong will to enjoy modelling and have fun with it will find it a good evening out and the beer down the bar is always a good way to make new friends too!

I should explain that I was a regular memeber but just now visit when returning to Melton to visit the folks and have a play on Aresthusa's layout (Andii is my brother) as I moved away for work and its a bit far to attend now I live under the Humber Bridge!

I hope you enjoy MMMRC as I have, and who knows I may even get back 'home' before xmas!

Bro Sewell

·
Registered
342 Posts
If there is anyone in the leicester area models the modern eras there is a very active area branch of DEMU which covers the notts leics lincs and north northants area

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>now I live under the Humber Bridge!
What, like the troll in "The three billy goats Gruff?"

David

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Oh my sides are spliting open! its a good job 'she who hold the purse strings' is a nurse, your so funny, I hope your modelling is better than your jokes!

Seriously though, not literally under the bridge but if I said Barton you wouldn't know were that was and as the bridge is celebrating been open for 25 years this year, most people know were that.

I work up here with in spitting distance of the bridge running a hotel, which doesn't make exibitions very easily attended, but am going to the Caistor show in week or so.

I am building a modern/ present day layout but not quite what your after as its a heritage railway, you may have read the threads about it from Arthesusa.

Hows the painting lessions going?

Bro

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>I hope your modelling is better than your jokes!
No.

David

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
So long as you enjoy your modelling that's all that matters in my book, and your not too far off in calling my brother a "Troll" tho I can get away with calling him that others may not. And the "Gruffs", when I was at school a few years ago that was a slang term for an eruption of gas from ones bottom so after a Raj during a modelling session that is very appropriate.
Arethusa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts