Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have just completed a Model Irish Railways white metal body of a 141/181 class and very nice it turned out too.

I stuck under it a Athearn FW1500 chassis (for 121 class) but the wheel base is far too short and looks wrong with large space visable between the bogies and the front/rear ends. The Chassis is metal and would for me anyhow be difficult to extend lengthwise.

Can anyone suggest a suitable motorising unit for these so I can complete it more accutately, either a bogie motor unit or complete chassis!!

Also can someone point me in the direction on detail accesories such as hook and Linkages, suitable Hand Rail wire, Horns etc.

All the best

George
Conna,
Cork,
Ireland

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (George Norman @ 12 Mar 2007, 12:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Folks,

I have just completed a Model Irish Railways white metal body of a 141/181 class and very nice it turned out too.

I for one directly cannot help as I have non-existent of Irish Railways (& I suspect many other people have very little either).

However, if you could give some dimensions (bogie wheelbase, wheel diameter & bogie pivot centres) I'm sure someone can come up with something>

Best of luck anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Why not contact Murphy's Models in Dublin who may be able to give you more help on the detailing side of things.

Would not the company who you purchased the white metal body from be able to provide the info you are after?

They may have feedback from other customers.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Hi, I have not built this loco myself as I normally model LMS NCC stuff with the odd UTA and a slightly random 111 and 80 class. However I did consider building it at one point and I notice from my notes that I have marked down to use a athern F7 chassie if I can find one, if not then to modify a lima class 20 chassie.

If you need any help I suggest you post on http://groups.msn.com/irishrailwaymodelling/ as there are plenty of people on there that have built this loco.

Good luck,
Rob

PS to any irish steam modellers, I see the Worsley Works NCC 'W' Class 2-6-0 Locomotive and Tender kit is now available, shall be ordering one myself soon!

·
Registered
34 Posts
80Class,

Thanks for the pointers.

I have ordered an F7 chassis so I once I receive it and fit it I will let you know how I got on and if there were any problems.

At the moment I only have access to the WWW at work as Broadband is too expensive where I live at the moment (€250 quid for the installation and €40.00 per month!!) and I cannot get onto the Irish Railway modellers website as it is retricted!!.

cheers

George
Cork.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
No problem, if you need me to find anything out for you then just ask.

good luck,

Robert

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Rob,

Finally received my two F7 Units and have started work to get them into the 141 body that I just finished.

I dismantled the chassis and took the extra 'super' weight out but taking removing the two screws holding this in place in the side of the Chassis. The 4 screws underneath hold the motor in and these were removed and the motor and top pick up was removed and the light holder bracket cut off, This pick up will be replaced with a wire soldered onto a suitable are on the Chassis, Most likely the light bracked

They are around 20mm too long for the 141 body so I chopped this amount off of the Athearn Chassis. I also need to cut back the Fuel tank in both length and Width. I may not be able to have the two bogies power given the amout of chassis I had to remove but I dont think this will be a problem given the weight of the whole engine. I will let you know if I manged to get power to the two units.

I now need to join the two sections of chassis but on a test fit I discovered I had to remove a bit of the cab floor to alow the bogies to rotate freely but found it will be difficult to fit the correct bogie sides onto the bogies without a small bit of surgery as they are too long.

The Loco now looks the part with the correct spacing and I need to also fit the diodes for the lights to finish it off.

I took pictures last night to include on this mail but for the life of me cannot figure out how to attach them(i did try the help topics!!). I you want I can send them by mail direct to you.

All the best

George
Cork.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Hi George,

Thank you for the update. Well done in getting the F7 units as I have heard they are getting rather thin on the ground. I'm sure I am not alone in wanting to see the pictures of the end result. I can upload the photos onto this thread for you if you email them to me.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Here are two photos of the loco form George.

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Mode of transport Train Rolling stock Vehicle Mode of transport Locomotive

Looks fantastic George, did you do the paintwork yourself? Top model, well done.

PS Your layout also looks beautiful, the scenery in particular looks as good as I've ever seen.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the Nice comments, I did paint this myself using an Badger Airbrush, I sprayed a Humbrol gray 1st to prime the model and this shows up any imprefections, These were fixed using filler and re-primed, I then sprayed the White and when this dried I masked the two white stripes off using Humbrol satin white, I then misted the Phoenix Precision dull CIE orange onto the body and spayed the Black/Grey Sections lastly again using Humbrol products. I lightened the orange a small bit with Humbrol white to induce a bit of a faded effect. Then the best bit: I weathered the diesel using a mix of Humbrol black, Grey and Brown.

I Tried to use the Decals stripes that came with the kit but the cracked up when I put a decal softening solution on them, I think myself they would of been too thick anyhow to get the detail to come through. The had no other problems with the smaller decals like the logo.

I had further problems with the glazing supplied, this was too big for the aperature in the model and had to be cut back, I used a PVC based glue to secure them and I used this also to create the smaller door windows.

I still need to get the model rolling next so I hope to finish this soon along with the 121, What a nice pair they should make.

Tks for for comments on the layout also!!

I will keep you updated when I get the Chassis sorted out.

Regards

George.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob,

Had a bit of a disaster with this Model, A cat of ours knock it from the shelf and it ended up in quite a few pieces so it has been consigned to the Bin. Heart is broken after all the work I put in it.

I now have a spare un touched F7, Chassis. As you have a 141 to build I can sell you this for the price it cost me plus the postage to you address.

Regards

George

1 - 11 of 11 Posts