Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im quite into photogrophy, mostly video (im a video editor) and Im quite into stills photogrophy too. With the right light, camera and camera settings you can get some truely amazing photos.

Here is one I took about an hour ago of the Hornby BR class 101 DMU about to enter my half finished tunnel.

What do you think?

Apart from the static grass fibres on the train, I was quite pleased with the result.

Id love to see some other photos of other layouts and locos, anyone have any good ones?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Here is one I took about an hour ago of the Hornby BR class 101 DMU about to enter my half finished tunnel.

What do you think? Good picture, I like the perspective.

I have some pictures on my blog and my reviews (which are in the reviews section) but I would not be saying the pictures are good at all. I find my digital camera isn't too good for close ups of fine detail. It needs a flash which tends to reflect strongly on the subject. I tend to use a regular SLR for all my serious photography however I need to use the digital in order to get my photos on the net.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My camera is fantastic at very close up photos, but awful at anything that moves. Im going to buy a canon EOS400d after I have bought my HD broadcast camera :-D

I did a cool video of the DMU too, look in oo at the BR blue class 101 topic of mine....

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Very nice video. I have bought a digital video recently so I might give that a whirl at some point. I have an Eos which is now 10 years old but I have never had a problem with it and it's been through all sorts of rough treatment and been round the world a few times so I can recommend them. I guess in your line of business you know they're good anyway.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Just a reminder - on page 3 in the "Media - Magazines, TV, Video & Photography" forum there is a topic "Digital Photography & The Model Railway" which ran from Nov 2005 to July 2006. You should find much of this of interest.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is the sort of thing that I can achieve with my 'point and shoot' pocket-sized digital camera

New Hornby Britannia lit up by a couple of flashlight, a torch and my mobile phone!

Lord of the Isles sitting outside the same shed.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
I dont have a decent camera, and i manage to achive good results (in my view)

www.freewebs.com/elliottwaters92

Thats my model rail website.
The railway itself isn't decent, but im still in the construction phases, and im only 14!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, looks ok, you should definatly put tarmac scatter down on the roads and paint the centre line abit neater,

I also assume that poptart boxes and stuff are to be replaced with houses and shops?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hoarp001 @ 1 Jan 2007, 22:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and paint the centre line abit neater,

Roadmarkings can be very diffecult to get right - that's why we have left them out on our exhibition layout - nobody has commented on the lack of them (yet !).

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (hoarp001 @ 1 Jan 2007, 22:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I also assume that poptart boxes and stuff are to be replaced with houses and shops?

Yes, ive just got some brick card sheets, so thats my job for the new year.

The road markings are hard to do, but i try my best.

I will probably replace *some* of the paint, with tarmac sheets or gravel as you suggested.

It will be my new part that will get this treatment (The current "Dinsdale" area.)

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 2 Jan 2007, 08:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Roadmarkings can be very diffecult to get right - that's why we have left them out on our exhibition layout - nobody has commented on the lack of them (yet !).

Indeed, as is spilling. In all seriousness though road markings are a pain. I have used very thin white tape on the grey european rubber road, and then only for junctions. Generally I avoid using them at all. Another alternative is dry print markings which I believe are produced by Faller.

Regards

John

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you not draw the markins out on the computer, print it out, cut out the markings then use it as a stencil to airbrush or spray the lines on?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can you not draw the markins out on the computer, print it out, cut out the markings then use it as a stencil to airbrush or spray the lines on?

·
Registered
375 Posts
hoarp001 can you see the difference in DOF you are getting by moving the camera slightly to one side? This is particularly noticeable in picture 2 and should show you how to take better pictures. I would also suggest that you make your pictures smaller for people to view them as it's not so good having to scroll backwards and forwards. Just trying to be helpful.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>tarmac sheets
Have a look at scalescenes.com to check out their "print yourself" road markings set. You might find them suitable.

David

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the DOF is ok, i quite like the way the hill, tunnel mouth and the far coaches blur, I think this draws more attention to the front coach, it gives a nice effect. They were pretty quick pictures, I havnt really played with perspective or anything when taking the pics, my camera makes an extrodinary job of taking up close pcitures with no effort. Un fortunatly , it is absolutly awful at taking pictures of anything thats moving. Im switching to a dSLR soon, probably the new EOS.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (hoarp001 @ 31 Dec 2006, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Id love to see some other photos of other layouts and locos...

Thanks.

Here's a few of mine taken with a simple Olympus digital camera, nothing fancy.

[I may have posted these before?]

Here's one I edited using Photoshop CS:

Thats about as far as ive got so far in my model railway photography - hope it gives you some ideas!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (edzmen @ 2 Jan 2007, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's one I edited using Photoshop CS:

Very impressive this one - a touch of the Cuneo?

Regards

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts