Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the article in this months Model Rail and was surprised how much they squeezed in there. I must admit to having a liking for O gauge if not the prices and was thinking about a (excuse the phrase) modern image layout for an exhibition. I would like to model a diesel engine shed but does anyone think that would work on such a small space effectively? I think there could be a fair bit of loco movement to and fro filling with fuel and coming on and off shed. Has anybody any ideas that would help? I was thinking more along the lines of 12' x 2' possibly with a fiddle yard off scene. I think it would have to be a small shed 3 or 4 roads max but would it work i.e. be convincing at an exhibition?

Next is the big question if it would do I go for Heljan RTR stuff or tackle kit building? I am not sure if my soldering skills are upto that yet but do they all have to be soldered or can they be glued?

Chris

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I would like to model a diesel engine shed but does anyone think that would work on such a small space effectively?
If you haven't already done so, take a look at Peter Harvey's diesel depot in the OO Layouts thread. He also has a couple of entries in his blog. This should give you an idea of what is possible.

QUOTE I think there could be a fair bit of loco movement to and fro filling with fuel and coming on and off shed
The Sykes road O gauge layout at Railex was a steam MPD. It didn't seem particularly large (much more than 12 x 2 though), but they had plenty going on. We watched for about 10 minutes. Locos would come off shed, visit the coaling tower, fill with water, turn on the table and then queue to leave. Once in the fiddle yard, the "channel" they had driven into was lifted off to be replaced with another loco. I have no idea how many locos were on show but it was a lot.

David

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 3 Jun 2007, 10:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you haven't already done so, take a look at Peter Harvey's diesel depot in the OO Layouts thread. He also has a couple of entries in his blog. This should give you an idea of what is possible.
The Sykes road O gauge layout at Railex was a steam MPD. It didn't seem particularly large (much more than 12 x 2 though), but they had plenty going on. We watched for about 10 minutes. Locos would come off shed, visit the coaling tower, fill with water, turn on the table and then queue to leave. Once in the fiddle yard, the "channel" they had driven into was lifted off to be replaced with another loco. I have no idea how many locos were on show but it was a lot.

David
Hi David yes I have seen Peter's pictures of his layout and very impressive they are. I have always thought that the diesel stabling and fuelling area would be best for me to model as then you don't have to bother too much with stock so it gives me something to do with my locos at home when they will not be in use on the club layout (when it is completed). It was partly seeing what Peter has done that made me think how much could I get into an 'o' gauge combined with the article in Model Rail.

Just need to find some more pictures of 'O' gauge layouts to see what is possible and what is achievable by me.

Thanks for the interest.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts