Nuclear flask wagon

Super-detailed class 58

Decent, affordable, overhead catenary system

That is all

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Paul d you must have read my mind I have all the items you have with the addition of

Super detailed HST.
super detailed class 56

I woud also love to see a modern emu e.g class 321, however, it seems unlikely from what we have heard from the manufacturers. I suppose it depends how many modern image modellers back the idea!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looking at the advantages of picking a preserved loco and therefore one with a long period in operation, together with a straight forward design how about:

J-15 0-6-0 (largest 0-6-0 class passed to the LNER)
J-69 0-6-0T
N-7 0-6-2T

rtr carriages at present are limited to post-grouping period, so some earlier vehicles, many of which lasted into the 1960s and even 1970's as engineers vehicles would be high on my list. GER (or possible NER) of course!

Regards
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
This has the potential to be a BIG topic.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile breaking it down into mini catagories for:-

1) Steam Tender locos
2) Steam Tank locos
3) Modern outline locos
4) Modern outline DMU/EMU
5) Coaches
6) Wagons
7) Power and Control
8) Buildings, scenery and track

Everybody gets to offer up to 8 different ideas however there is nothing wrong with offering up several ideas in one catagory or even only offering up one idea in one catagory. It would make it an easier read going forward.

And in thinking about ideas it could be worthwhile reviewing Simon Kohler's interview as he provides pointers as to how manufacturers think when choosing subjects to produce. Also remember that older models can be subject to a makeover and so which older models should be prioritised for this?

Hornby already have a declared aim of moving any tender drive arrangements into the body of the loco going forward and so this may provide clues as to where we are heading with the upgrade arrangements.

1) Steam Tender locos

Hornby Class 9F anybody?

Its always been a popular model for Hornby and like the Class 08 it would be odd if Hornby did not have a 9F in their range.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not much to add in the diesel loco wish list, lets face it the 56,58 and hst are about all that is left apart from maybe a class 14 or 17 or some of the less successful modernisation period ones.
Steamwise an LNER A2 would be nice and maybe a few of the small tank engines might be ready for a makeover, As a Leeds boy the J50 is a favourite however crude the lima model is.
Maybe hornby could be persuaded to develop the class 155 moulds into a 153 DMU as these are also common up here.
I think perhaps hornby could develop a chassis to suit the electric loco's as well and develop the class 86,7 and 90 as well as possibly the earlier electrics too.
Scenerywise a concrete coaling tower seems popular and i'd personally like a new turntable and roundhouse(partial at least) as the hornby turntable is also ancient and i don't recall seeing a UK roundhouse in 00gauge.
The catenary both modern and early is a must especially if hornby are intent on pursuing the pendolino and one day maybe emu's too.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I would like to see a digital sound version of the Duchess, preferably in blue, with the new level of detail that Hornby are currently producing. Also a BR blue version of the A4 with digital sound too.
For Diesel, a digital sound version of one of the Scotrail DMU's with the whoosh livery.
A digital sound version with inbuilt coach lighting version of the GNER HST would be fantastic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 15 Mar 2006, 17:36)Hornby Class 9F anybody?

Its always been a popular model for Hornby and like the Class 08 it would be odd if Hornby did not have a 9F in their range.

Ask any retailer,-with the imminent arrival of the Bachmann 9F,-buyers just aren't interested in the Hornby version..

Hornby have stated that they are 'revisiting' older locos in their range,I'd like to see some of the ex-Dapol locos fitted with a decent loco drive chassis instead of the rough and noisy tender drive,the bodies are pretty good already so would maybe only need minor tweaking to upgrade them,these being:-
GWR Dean Goods.
LMS 4F.
LMS 2P.
Some of the old Hornby designed 4-4-0 locos could be fitted with new loco-drive chassis as well,again with not too much work on the body,these being:-
SR Schools.
LNER D49.
LMS Compound.[If a decent Fowler tender was made this could also be used behind the 2P,4F,and the 8F]
GWR County. [could use the Churchward tender from the Grange]
Oh,and of course not forgetting the 28xx 2-8-0,with alternative cabs to do the 38xx,[could also use the Churchward tender from the Grange]
On the diesel front the same applies to the Cl.56 and Cl.58,-these could both do with decent central-motor,all wheel drive chassis,with etched body/roof grilles,but I think the opening doors on the super-detail locos are a bit gimmicky..

A Cl.14 would be nice
,but I can't see it happening..

As for Southern EMU's,I think they feel it is still too much of a niche market....

·
Registered
697 Posts
Less successful Modernisation Plan diesels are not viable with the necessary production runs.

Of the major types, only the following are left:
Class 40 .........Can Hornby do a better job than Bachmanns poor effort?
Class 56 .........probably lower down in the pecking order?
Class 58 .........just above the 56?
Class 59 .........the Hornby (ex-Lima) model will probably fall well short!
Class 67 .........I'd rather have waited for an all new one. The Lima model is so wrong that the Hornby revamp will be a waste of time!

Next on Hornbys list will be:
An all new class 47 and an all new class 37. I suspect the 47 will be 1st and possibly one of their 1st DCC decoder fitted locos for 2007.

Hornbys surprise....... a class 66 ????

Bachmann? I can't guess what they'll do next. I hope it's a nice suprise!

What do I wish?
No new locos !
EMUs DMU's, a/c mk2's, modern (post 1990) wagons; and top of my list...a new super detailed HST.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
"Class 40 .........Can Hornby do a better job than Bachmanns poor effort?
Class 67 .........I'd rather have waited for an all new one. The Lima model is so wrong that the Hornby revamp will be a waste of time!"
i think the peaks that bachmann have done will satisfy peak lovers. there arnt many other people who would want such an ugly loco.
56 & 58 i agree no chance! although i think the 58 could be sucessfully revamped.
i wouldnt write off the 67 too quickly. the basic bodyshell is quite good it was the chassis that was very prone to self dissasemble and a total lack of detail at either end. and the fact that they were all painted in "LIMA" EWS maroon which is totally wrong. again i think this loco could be revamped quite sucessfully. weather hornby will be sucessfull is another question!

"Hornbys surprise....... a class 66 ???? " this is going to be the biggest class of loco in britain for the next 25 years. i think a hornby model is inevitable in the next 3-4 years.

i would like to have 1 thing next year that is not a bread and butter model. a blue pullman would be a dream and a long term inevitability but i dont think the current marketing encumbant will ever give it the go ahead (i would be satisfied with a sack of the old mouldings that i could kit bash)
APT again i would be satisfied with a sack of the old mouldings to kitbash into a full rake.
Brighton Belle the old mouldings are not up to even kitbashing so this would need a complete retool.
a kit of the LNWR royal train would be very nice. even a set of sides would be very nice!
A pretty loco. how about an LNWR problem class. or a calidonian 4-6-0 tender loco. or a raven pacific.
a very early loco, puffing billy or a L&M loco (wouldnt that be wonderfull!! even a kit would do!)

i dont suppose any of that will come to fruition but i can dream. i fear comming years of runn of the mill diesels and steam loco's that were decided upon buy calculations. it would be nice if evry few years hornby did at least something by instinct.

Peter

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I'd like a Peppercorn A2, a K4 and how about a BR standard 6 "Clan". Of coarse the one that I'd really like to see is 71000 DoG but we all know that that isn't going to happen, not enough sales in a class of one. Theres bound to be super detailed passenger stock for the Southern and Great Western Railways so I hope that the GWR parcel railcar will be hot on the heels of the passenger one that Hornby are tarting up as we speak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I still think a class 37 will be next years surprise, I would like a Blue Pullman , and an 89, but being realistic I think we will get a super duper 58 !!.

But whatever you want, keep on dreaming.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For me its got to be

DRS 20 & 37 with working wipac lights.

Nuclear Flask Wagon

Super detailed 56 & 58

Super detailed HST & new close coupling MK3's

BLA Bogie Steel, with cradles (ex BBA)

Completely New retooled super detailed 73, 59 & 67 I cant see them standing up to well against the the more recent releases, especially the 59 against the Bachmann shed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here we go again, dream time! Why on earth would Hornby invest huge bundles of cash to fulfill the esoteric dreams of we modellers.Whatever they produce must above all be commercially viable.
From a personal point of view it should be no new locos for at least two years,better they concentrate on producing something for the locos they have to pull.Apart from the Seacow the rest are just toys. How about a one year concentration on rolling stock,followed by one year on EMUs/DMUs?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Tottally agree.

That's why my list reflects the most popular types of diesel, which have sold well in the past.

QUOTE Less successful Modernisation Plan diesels are not viable with the necessary production runs.

Of the major types, only the following are left:
Class 40 .........Can Hornby do a better job than Bachmanns poor effort?
Class 67 .........I'd rather have waited for an all new one. The Lima model is so wrong that the Hornby revamp will be a waste of time!

Next on Hornbys list will be:
An all new class 47 and an all new class 37. I suspect the 47 will be 1st and possibly one of their 1st DCC decoder fitted locos for 2007.

Hornbys surprise....... a class 66 ????

Totally agree about the wagons. Maybe the seacow indicates more is to come?
Otherwise most of the rest are poor!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The most commercial period is the transition era and so this will probably be where the focus for new products will be, both with rolling stock and locomotives.

GWR is probably the most commercial of the big 4 although any big steam express loco is popular.

Its about time Hornby produced a decent sub Class 08 diesel. And a decent small industrial steam loco as these are always popular even though all the current incumbents go back years.

It must be the turn of GWR to have coach makeover and the question is which one. Colletts or Hawksworths?

Or are we going to get GWR toplight coaches for the first time?

Everybody does 5 and 7 plank wagons. I personally don't see how a Hornby upgrade of these wagons would benefit anybody. Would collectors suddenly replace all their 30 year old 7 plank wagons with the new versions. They would not look much different surely?

This is the type of rolling stock that we have been missing:-

1) A decent horse box
2) Yellow Spot Banana Van
3) GWR Siphon Wagons of any description
4) Well wagons
5) A wider range of 4 wheeled tank wagons

And bring back the double ended Transcontinental diesel for the kids in bright colours. That will save the superdetailed locos from little fingers. If it could be done for £35-£40 with lights it could be very popular. Scratchbuilders might buy it also for the chassis.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 20 of 25 Posts