Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Doug,

I think I speak on behalf of all the forum members.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your effort and hard work to make this forum something special. I think the Model Rail Forum PLUS+ is most certainly a BIG PLUS for this forum and a brilliant idea and I trust that it will be well supported.

It is a priviledge to be part of this forum and may it go from strength to strength.

Kind regards.

Johan

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I look forward to seeing the new features that are added.

I thought about it but the storage space dosent offer me anything i dont already get from yahoo or photobucket so i would just be paying for the restricted threads. That didnt really seem like good value.
But i await with interest to see what other features are added.

I like the new editing features.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The experience at Slotforum suggests the benefits outweigh the small cost. Two examples. It is possible to negotiate special group discounts on new models as a result of bulk buying. The bigger the group the better the bulk discounts. Model Rail Forum are able to approach a stockist with a list of interested parties (real names) and negotiate a deal. Its only possible to do this for Forum+ Members. We add our names to a procurement list with a deadline in the Forum+ Member area and Model Rail Forum makes an approach to whoever do a deal. And stockists who have slow moving stock are able to approach Model Rail Forum and offer a group deal knowing that they may be able to move 10 or 20 or 30 or whatever items of stock quickly.

A firm order for 50 locos is very attractive for most stockists! We all then simply make our own arrangements to pay and honour the commitment we have made in the Forum+ Member area.

Take the Heljan Falcon for example. Interested parties add their names to a list. Model Rail Forum request the best prices for an order of 50 to be paid for by and shipped to 50 Model Rail Forum+ members from several stockists. Model Rail Forum then reports back on this best price received to Forum+ Members and the deal is done and the order guaranteed!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all forum members,

This is an appeal to all forum members to join the Model Rail Forum PLUS+. Until now this forum has been free to whoever wanted to make use of it and in fact it is still free. One must however not lose sight of the fact that there are costs involved to run and maintain this forum and somebody has to foot the bill.

The advantages of joining the Model Rail Forum PLUS+ are there for everybody to see. It is a fact that the more members we have joining the PLUS+ the better forum we will have. This forum has already proven that it is very active and well supported, but the time has come to now move to the next level and that level is the Model Rail Forum PLUS+.

Let us be honest - since the forum has been upgraded last week it is much easier to use. Why don't you try out the Model Train Forum PLUS+ and see what is in it for you. The PLUS+ has most certainly been established with us, the model train fanatics in this forum in mind. By becoming a member of the Model Train Forum PLUS+ you will enable the moderators of this forum to give us an even better forum.

There may be arguments that the Model Rail Forum PLUS+ is not good value for money or that you can not afford it. Well to those I would like to say think again - if you can afford model trains you can most certainly afford 15 EUR/10 Pounds per annum to become a member of PLUS+. The advantages and savings that PLUS+ is offering you will eventually cover your PLUS+ membership fee.

Come on guys, show your loyalty and appreciation for this forum and join the Model Train Forum PLUS+! I am looking forward to the rapid increase of the membership of the Model Rail Forum PLUS+.

Comments from the other Model Rail Forum PLUS+ members would be appreciated.

Kind regards from a proud Model Train Forum PLUS+ member.

Johan

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Thankyou gary. that is a good idea.

Johan i dont mind spending the money but i want to know what i am getting and know that it is good value for money. I dont really think the server space is worth anything to me so i am interested in the other things that would be of more use to mee. the things i tend to want to purchase are rarely of the RTR flavor so i dont think the buying lists would be of any real use to me either.

i will see how it developes.

Peter

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>but i want to know what i am getting
I'm joining to assure the future of the forum that I've benefitted a lot from over the last year.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 3 Mar 2007, 09:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>but i want to know what i am getting
I'm joining to assure the future of the forum that I've benefitted a lot from over the last year.

David

I will join over the weekend - even if I don't use the + bit, the rest of the forum "as is" is great value. Where else is there a similar forum professionally run ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 3 Mar 2007, 09:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I will join over the weekend - even if I don't use the + bit, the rest of the forum "as is" is great value. Where else is there a similar forum professionally run ?

I will second that, and indeed what everyone has been saying. I like the forum upgrade, and I have to say I enjoy the professionalism and ease of use the site offers.

Plus it will solve my photo problem (since I haven't got round to registering with Photobucket).

Thanks & Best wishes from me - expect a sub this weekend, or thereabouts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I will be becoming a Plus member but not for a few weeks as i am buying about £160 worth of track next saturday, and possibly a sound chip (or 2) aswell.

Alistair

·
Registered
342 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 3 Mar 2007, 09:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I will join over the weekend - even if I don't use the + bit, the rest of the forum "as is" is great value. Where else is there a similar forum professionally run ?

Demu forum, Rmweb , new railway modellers all are proffessionally run forums but each is useful in differant ways

·
is asleep
758 Posts

Yes, thanks very much for a two-tier system...how long before parallel discussions are occuring simultaneously and pointlessly? There are already presumably revenue-generating advertisements on the forum and I personally think there are many pointless features available on the free part already without paying for extra ones! The storage space offered seems to be miniscule also. There is a real danger that non-daily users will move elsewhere...

Goedel

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 6 Mar 2007, 01:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, thanks very much for a two-tier system...how long before parallel discussions are occuring simultaneously and pointlessly? There are already presumably revenue-generating advertisements on the forum and I personally think there are many pointless features available on the free part already without paying for extra ones! The storage space offered seems to be miniscule also. There is a real danger that non-daily users will move elsewhere...

Goedel

It is not designed to be a two-tier system at all.

The principal reason for doing this is to help support the forum. We have to pay for servers, hosting fees and bandwidth usage. Not cheap. Advertising does contribute, but as you may notice, we are not flooded with advertisers. All regular expenses for the moment moment are being covered by myself.

Having a paid membership option does help in this process. When you pay for something, you generally expect something in return. The one thing we can offer is space on the servers, so the Gallery is now available. We can also negotiate special offers and discounts for group purchases.

There may be some discussion in the Plus+ members' area, but the won't be parallel to what goes on in the other areas.

On SlotForum (www.slotforum.com), after two years of running this system, we have not seen any negative use of the Plus+ system.

If more space per member is required for photos, we can always talk about it. 50 Meg was a good place to start. Most users of the system don't hit the limit.

It wasn't so long ago when 50 Meg websites were being sold for a couple of hundred pounds a year...

·
Registered
174 Posts
The reason I put my money in is to support Doug and the forum, The free space is a good thing as I can add some photo's and video's when I get round to it.

I didn't join to be a part of some elitist band of posters or to feel superior to anyone not using the extra forum.

Just waiting for my free T shirt and Pen to be delivered
We are getting a free pen right Doug

Darren

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (darobi @ 6 Mar 2007, 09:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The reason I put my money in is to support Doug and the forum, The free space is a good thing as I can add some photo's and video's when I get round to it.

I didn't join to be a part of some elitist band of posters or to feel superior to anyone not using the extra forum.

Darren

Hi Darren,

Well said.

To all those sceptic and negative forum members out there - give the Model Rail Forum PLUS+ a chance to prove itself before shooting it down. Remember that you are not forced to become a member of PLUS+. The choice is up to you.

Regards.

Johan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts