Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE You can review an older Model as long as the review has some sort of interesting 'angle'.

Well done Doug this is a great idea. Could you maybe give an example of what you mean by an "interesting angle" as some reviewers may have different ideas about what is interesting and what is not.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE How are you programing your Broadway Neil ?

I have actually found the manual quite lacking compared with the Trix models in terms of advice on programming. While it has several pages on this matter most of the CV alterations seem to be about volume of sound. The CV tables I printed in the reviews is pretty much what you get in the manual. I could find nothing for starting and braking inertia which is one area it is lacking in. It does offer this change in analogue programming oddly enough.

I actually had the impression that the DCC aspect suffered a little in terms of programming etc due to making it possible to run and programme in analogue. I didn't state this in the review because I only suspect this, I don't know it and I don't think I should be speculating in a review. Where the Loksound decoders in the Trix offer a range of parameters to set each CV too, the Broadway does not it only tells you the factory setting. I guess you just have to experiment. I have experimented a bit but have not been able to get the sound to stop at the same time as the train. This is something I have tried several times unsuccessfully to sort out. So I am open to suggestions if anyone has solved this problem.

QUOTE The two makes are a long way apart in several respects

Absolutely, I just wanted to demonstrate what you are paying the extra money for. Once you have added all the modifications and your time, there's not a lot in it.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Hope you needed a Class 50 - this is a cracker of a Limited Edition and not available where you are.

Thanks a lot Gary.
I am looking forward to seeing this Class 50. It had been on my list of stuff to get and I have heard it's a bit of a cracker. Cracker means the same here by the way.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (MRE @ 8 Jun 2006, 09:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Let us know what you think of it Neil.......and that it has arrived safely.

Gary, it arrived safely last night and I am very impressed with the detail level. It is a fantastic model. I must say it really is impressive how much the Hornby UK diesels have improved in quality and in terms of detail in the last year or so. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 14 Jun 2006, 11:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now it would be poetic if you did a review of the Class 50 and really trashed it.

It would indeed. That thought had occurred to me before I got it but, as I have already admitted, this is a really good model.

Hornby has made a really good job of this. The only improvements I could make is to add sound which as it's dcc ready would not be that hard and maybe a cablight which is not too hard either. Their newer models have really caught up in terms of detail. It is a bit of a shame that they still have models in their back catalogue which are more toy like, e.g. the HST. I am confident this will improve as Hornby seem to move forward each year. I still look forward to the day I can buy an A4 or streamlined Duchess of the shelf with digital sound.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I really wish they would make some of their older steam as I'm not much a fan for the diesels.

I suppose they are working their way through the range improving them as they go. In a few years I guess they will have them all covered. While I can appreciate the fine details on the Diesels I must admit I don't see the attraction. I have a few because they are neccessary to make your layout look realistic and they pull the coaches from some of the eras I model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.