Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one layout really grabbed my attention in the show and it was one of the smallest layouts. set in bavaria, it was even perched high on on a stand - perfect height for adult viewing. (sorry to kids and wheelchair users - but there was a genuine reason for this- it had been commissioned by someone and was being exhibited before being delivered and the owner wanted it built this way!)

it was simple but very beautiful and the detail was just excruciatingly good. my pictures cant even hope to capture the atmosphere of this little layout but i just have to say, it was staggeringly excellent. ok, so im biased in that i like continental scenes, but amongst other continental models it really was a pleasure to stand and watch - which i did - for 2 hours, more than any other layout.

a great and ever changing selection of rolling stock kept appearing and disappearing - think this layout had a live branch line to the fleischmann and minitrix factory around the back!

enjoy the pics!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 22 Feb 2009, 22:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not sure why there are multiple topics about this one event.

Please keep the photos to the recommended size. Large photos are not easily served by all visitors. It would be really better to post a few medium sized photos and perhaps link to the bigger ones.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...ost&p=80272

multiple topics? - u mean 2 of them? - well 1st i posted pics of various layouts and things id seen at the scottish show that were of interest to me and i thought may be interesting to others and 2ndly i posted a separate topic about my favourite layout. is that a problem or issue? am i not allowed to do that?
in fact im not really sure what your problem is.

im not a computer whizz kid and dont know how to edit foto sizes, but if you do know how to, then feel free to edit my pics. (your comment - large photos are not easily served by all visitors??? - what does that mean in english???)

moderators dwb and neil s wood both thanked me for posting the pics - it does take time and effort to do so and if im going to get replies like this, then i just wont bother - which would be a loss and a shame to those folks who do enjoy my postings - all because of you. im quite new here and i dont really think that was a very positive reply you made to me and i dont really see who i have inconvenienced and how - apart from you!. if you dont like my topics/interests/tastes ... cant u just ignore them - isnt that possible? they are not offending anyone or if they are, tell me who and why or how. thanks. (at least i have the decency to say thankyou - i cant see any sign of it in your reply!)

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Thank you very much for the photos - they are appreciated.

I say multiple topics as there are now 3 current topics about the Model Rail Scotland event.

We do have rules and guidelines about photos. See here:http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25

When you signed up to the forum you agreed to the rules and guidelines: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?act=boardrules

I like big images as I have a nice fast internet connection and a large screen, but many members don't have broadband and big screens so as a guideline, we recommend image sizes of 700 to 800 pixels wide. This makes the pages and images load faster etc. It is really not difficult to do this if you really want to.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 23 Feb 2009, 00:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you very much for the photos - they are appreciated.

I say multiple topics as there are now 3 current topics about the Model Rail Scotland event.

We do have rules and guidelines about photos. See here:http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25

When you signed up to the forum you agreed to the rules and guidelines: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?act=boardrules

I like big images as I have a nice fast internet connection and a large screen, but many members don't have broadband and big screens so as a guideline, we recommend image sizes of 700 to 800 pixels wide. This makes the pages and images load faster etc. It is really not difficult to do this if you really want to.

[

hi doug,

iv used the photobucket uploader to adjust the picture sizes as you suggested - i have no idea if it worked or not - they still look the same to me - let me know if the latest ones i posted are any better!. btw, its a lot of work uploading pics from camera to photobucket then editing the size to fit on here ... doesnt this website have software than automatically adjusts uploaded pics to make it a little easier - this amount of work is a little off-putting to me - im on holiday for 3 weeks now so have time to do it, but otherwise i wudnt have time to upload pics like this much as id like to!

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
European or american railways don't seem to appeal to me, it's nostalgia that does it for me hence my favourite layout was Paisley Central, an artistic view of the the town of Paisley. Being a Buddie all my life I was very pleased to see this noble attempt by the Renfrewshire Model Railway Club. The first and most magnificent thing which caught my attention was the Abbey. Don't know if it was to scale and don't care. It captured the essence perfectly. The town itself seemed to be a mish-mash of old and new with the old jail in the centre (which was knocked down in the early seventies I think, someone can correct me if I'm wrong) and in complete contrast the shops on the side of the railway were representative of today. The town was so large that the railway seem a little insignificant and the kids were commenting more on the moving buses, which was definately a nice touch, all in all I would say I spent about seventy percent of my time at this layout and entered into various discussions with quite a few people about what was there and what was missing, one of the most obvious would be MacKay's Models which used to reside in the rear entrance of the Station but hey - all in all it kept me amused for ages and well done to the modeller of the Abbey, almost as magnificent as the real thing. Oh and finally - it would be good to see a replica of Love St Football Ground as it won't be there much longer.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey docster - yes that was an excellent layout - i asked them what the "castle" was in the layout and they explained it was the old paisley jail which is no longer there! . what a shame they knocked such a lovely building down i thought afterwards (the real one i mean!) ... but yes, agree, a very nice layout!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hey Docster I'm also a Paisley Buddie. I agree I thought Paisley Central was very good. Actually just one correction it was by Bishopton Model Railway Club not Renfrewshire (you probably remember their Elderslie layout in the 70s).

It was nice to see the town being modeled. Abbey,Town Hall,Burtons,Cenotaph were all there. Did you like the line of buses waiting in Cotton Street- that used to be the terminus until it moved to Smith hill st when the piazza was built. I think the prison lasted till late 60s when the Piazza was built on the site. Sadly the town is now a shadow of its former self and even the buses are these hideous turquoise Arriva things rather than a nice red Western bus!

Russell

·
Registered
982 Posts
ICE the Castle was indeed the jail - it was black with suit and looked very foreboding! Parents used to warn me thats where bad boys went! Possibly I could get counseling for the trauma now! Believe me it looked better on the model than real life. More happily Cuthbertsons records was across the road and of course there was the Variety Stores toy shop in Moss Street! Only thing slightly disappointing was that you couldn't get a view of the front of Paisley (Gilmour St) and County Square.

Russell

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
DB Ice3

there is is small program that will resize all your pictures for you in one batch. Its called Picture Resize Genius. I use it all the time for posting onto forums. Lots of options and really easy to use!!!

Nikki

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 23 Feb 2009, 21:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ICE the Castle was indeed the jail - it was black with suit and looked very foreboding! Parents used to warn me thats where bad boys went! Possibly I could get counseling for the trauma now! Believe me it looked better on the model than real life. More happily Cuthbertsons records was across the road and of course there was the Variety Stores toy shop in Moss Street! Only thing slightly disappointing was that you couldn't get a view of the front of Paisley (Gilmour St) and County Square.

Russell

QUOTE (Madkitten @ 23 Feb 2009, 21:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>DB Ice3

there is is small program that will resize all your pictures for you in one batch. Its called Picture Resize Genius. I use it all the time for posting onto forums. Lots of options and really easy to use!!!

Nikki

hey russell, thanks for the info! ... i really didnt know that paisley even had a jail! ... okay so maybe the model made it look nice lol.

nikki - ill google this picture resize genius later tonight and see how i get on with it - i did try some re-sizing on photobucket but iv no idea if it worked or not! - id better to print my fotos off at boots - take a pair of scissors and cut them to the size needed on here and re-scan the foto prints back into the computer - but thats all a bit of a polava! ... lets hope your program is simple to use! never mind dcc and model railways, i shud really go on a computer course!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE i did try some re-sizing on photobucket

I use Windows Paint to resize my images before posting. I choose a % reduction to bring the width down to 640 pixels which is usually 18% in each direction for my camera. Then I Save As JPG. The resize option is under the "Image" menu item. You can get the width information from Image/Attributes. If you can't find these functions on your copy of Paint, maybe they were new for Vista which is what I use.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 24 Feb 2009, 08:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use Windows Paint to resize my images before posting. I choose a % reduction to bring the width down to 640 pixels which is usually 18% in each direction for my camera. Then I Save As JPG. The resize option is under the "Image" menu item. You can get the width information from Image/Attributes. If you can't find these functions on your copy of Paint, maybe they were new for Vista which is what I use.

David
I don't do anything to mine. They just seem to be the right size when they are transferred from Photobucket.

I'm a Paisley Buddie too by the way although we didn't hang around long after I was born. Moved to Partick.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 23 Feb 2009, 22:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't do anything to mine. They just seem to be the right size when they are transferred from Photobucket.

I'm a Paisley Buddie too by the way although we didn't hang around long after I was born. Moved to Partick.

lol and went from partick to melbourne? thats quite a move!

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
Correction noted I think someone said to me it was Renfrewshire. It was definitely the highlight for me, The only ommision I was sad about was East Buchanan Street which is right beside the railway behind St Mirin's Cathedral. The street in which I was brought up in the sixties. Many a night I was woken by the bed shuggling with the freight trains passing in the night.

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE Via Whiteinch, Fife, London and Harris

Helluva destination board that one. Wonder if you can do it on an Arriva all day rover?

Russell

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (db ice 3 @ 22 Feb 2009, 21:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>one layout really grabbed my attention in the show and it was one of the smallest layouts. set in bavaria, it was even perched high on on a stand - perfect height for adult viewing. (sorry to kids and wheelchair users - but there was a genuine reason for this- it had been commissioned by someone and was being exhibited before being delivered and the owner wanted it built this way!)

Still no excuse IMHO - the way it's presented make it look like an exhibition layout too - "kids and wheelchair users" pay their money at the door too.

Nice layout, albeit a little too symectrical though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts