Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I think the emphasis of the webmaster article was on the contentious issue of moderator intervention with forums.

On one side, there is RMweb - where anything goes on the forums giving the likes of Bachmann reason to be furious with certain behavior and getting them on the litigious warpath. On the other side is MREmag where Pat Hammond selects (sometimes editing) all correspondence to keep the content nice and clean.

We are somewhere in the middle. Funny actually as we very rarely moderate and generally don't have a problem with content.

Model Rail Magazine didn't say anything about the values and benefits that any of these forums brings to the model railway enthusiast.

They didn't make a note of the reviews that we produce, the videos, resources and the constructive comment...

... they were only looking for and commenting on the negative aspects of online forums - perhaps they are worried somewhat...

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Clearly "The Webmaster" must visit the various fiorums to be able to comment.

A topic with a heading of "Model Rail" would almost certainly draw "The Webmaster" to it!

So what feedback would Model Rail readers like to offer to Model Rail given that they have been good enough to give us a mention.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Generally I like Model Rail, I don't always agree totally with their reviews, and it seem an age since the total test facility got a mention (good because the pulling power of some of the loco reviewed was hardly creditable compared with what they managed on mine. Chris Leigh strikes me as an accomplished modeller, groping his way around DCC, and approachable, I would drop him a line, and point out his oversight. While are you giving a rousting ask him to reduce the amount of D&E coverage and get back to traditional motive power.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE While are you giving a rousting ask him to reduce the amount of D&E coverage and get back to traditional motive power.

Totally agree. Guess the issue for Model Rail though is that for the moment there seems to be more D&E news and bits and bobs to write about and it is inevitable that this will continue to be the case. When was the last article in Model Rail about anything pre 1923? Is it the magazines that drive the interest or the interest that drives the magazines?

Like first world war veterans there will become a time when there will be the last surviving handful of those who were once public service railway steam train drivers.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Apr 2007, 21:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Like first world war veterans there will become a time when there will be the last surviving handful of those who were once public service railway steam train drivers.

Happy modelling
Gary

Not strictly 100% true as EWS are still training steam loco crews! As is The West Coast Railway Co. There are still at leat 5 steam specials running some where on the network every week!

Regards
Frank

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Not strictly 100% true as EWS are still training steam loco crews! As is The West Coast Railway Co. There are still at leat 5 steam specials running some where on the network every week!

I've got a booking on Princess Elizabeth over the Settle & Carlisle line in early June to look forward too
I'm pretty certain the locomotive that gets our train to and from the steam portions of the journey will be supplied by EWS. I assume that EWS provide the footplate staff required for route knowledge and safety stuff too.

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
I seriously hope that Modelrail do NOT increase the steam content. If I wanted to read this sort of article, I would buy RM. I think that the balance is right and I told Ben Jones this at a show recently.

Cheers
P.S.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>If I wanted to read this sort of article, I would buy RM
So which part of the title RM implies a steam emphasis whereas MR shifts the balance towards D&E?

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Just to add my pennies worth.

Personally, although over the last five years or so I have reduced my "take" of magazines "skimming through" them all at WHS & buying only the one(s) with content I am actually interested in I find that now I don't even do that on a regular basis.

I spend a lot of time on the www (too much according to the domestic authority) & get most of the information that I want on the forums.

If you have a question - put it on your forum of choice - chances are you will have the answer (sometime many & varied) in hours, if not days, rather than weeks or months for a magazine to respond. Years ago we would be content - now we all tend to want things immediatly, if not sooner, it's just the age we live in.

I think the recent poll was more to find out the effects of forums from the publishers so that they could perhaps change their content/format to compete better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 6 Apr 2007, 22:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>If I wanted to read this sort of article, I would buy RM
So which part of the title RM implies a steam emphasis whereas MR shifts the balance towards D&E?

David

Don't quite follow what you mean by this?

I based my comment on experience of buying magazines regularly for the past 20 years. Based on this, RM does have a much greater content of steam based layouts whilst ModelRail has a better balance of both. I do not have an anti steam bias as I can appreciate good modeling no matter what the subject. What I do prefer is to read about more modern image based layouts.

PS

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Don't quite follow what you mean by this?
If a magazine is to have more emphasis on one aspect than another, then why not have that in the name - say Steam Rail Modeller, Kettles for all seasons. Model Rail or Railway Modeller imply general railway content not one particular type of traction. I guess I'm just being pedantic

David

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have no preference for steam or 'modern image', modelling both aspects. I do however like model railways that inspire and get one thinking, irrespective of era or ability level. The next issue of Hornby Mag WILL do that - cannot say more or Black 5 Man will give me a kick......

Competition is good, I can see Model Rail and The Railway Modeller psuhing themselves further too - the outcome always being to the reader's advantage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 7 Apr 2007, 12:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>Don't quite follow what you mean by this?
If a magazine is to have more emphasis on one aspect than another, then why not have that in the name - say Steam Rail Modeller, Kettles for all seasons. Model Rail or Railway Modeller imply general railway content not one particular type of traction. I guess I'm just being pedantic

David

Aaah! I see what you mean now! Just me being a bit thick. Apols for misunderstanding.

PS

·
Registered
135 Posts
I imagine the vintage/modern balance to a certain degree is dictated by what is available to the editors? Finding something new and exciting must be quite tricky, with so many layouts at shows being over-exposed and tired (and not being upkept with peeling backscenes for example). Finding good layouts that 'never leave home' must be even more of a challenge. To find these, you're relying on the owner submitting their layout or increasingly the layout having a good web page that is well indexed to a search engine or linked off another site. I think of magazines as TV channels, you can pic and choose

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did find it a bit frustrating that we had that wonderfull LNWR coach with puney pictures and a full 2 page spread for O gauge wagons. I would have prefered to have that reversed.

By the way the LNWR book reviewed in the mag is £29.99 and not the £35 mentioned in the review.

The scenics mag did seem a little too much of an advert for Woodland scenics. soo much scenic work can be done with things you have to hand or can go out and find. you dont have to buy evrything.

There are still times when i find certain aspects of the modelling in MR to be (how can I put this) below what would be exected but say Model Railroader.
Please can someone at MR actually go and look at some rocks. take some pictures of some real geology. understand why things are the way they are.
The plaster in a woodland scenics mould is a great way of producing rocks very easily but they bear little resembelence to the real thing.
The real things have strata and flaws and there are reasons why rocks are in the places they are.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 6 Apr 2007, 20:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>................... While are you giving a rousting ask him to reduce the amount of D&E coverage and get back to traditional motive power.

If like me you were born in the late 50's in East Kent then D+E WAS traditional motive power.

Reagrds

John

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE If like me you were born in the late 50's in East Kent then D+E WAS traditional motive power.

Unfortunate choice of timing - If you a steam fan then .

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 10 Apr 2007, 23:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unfortunate choice of timing - If you a steam fan then .

I do just remember steam on the Margate - Dover services, and my father taking me to see the last steam in Kent special in 1961, however I still like and admire the steam locomotive.

Regards

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gotta say I hope Model Rail doesn't change its balance of articles, either, warts and all (I agree about the photos).

If two thirds of British modellers are Steam fans, then I suppose the proportion between the "Big Three" UK magazines is about right - Railway Modeller and British Railway Modelling largely for Steam age modellers, and Model Rail for anyone else.

I'm glad we have Modern Railway Modelling, now, too, I just hope it survives, grows and matures.

Reminds me I must try The Hornby Mag....So much to do....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts