Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I was checking this out when it was recently upgraded. I find that it doesn't have much to compliment the magazines.

It's playing up with my Firefox browser too these days.

I wonder if they will add a forum to their offerings?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not one to swell my favourite links menu here I fear.
Couldn't find much at all of any use, so I suppose the intention is to add some real contact eventually ???
BUT a great site if you want links to dozens of other magazines of all descriptions and interests !! Funny enough, all seem to be part of the emap group

Like the idea of a monthly rating though MMaD, perhaps one with a bit more street cred next month

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
It's not very inspiring. There is a significant difference between the quality of various websites. Not many model rail manufacturers have decent sites. Precision Craft being one of the best. Hornby, Bachmann, Fleischmann, Roco, BLI and Trix are all pretty basic.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I Like the idea too.

No doubt Hornby will be waiting for the MMaD treatment when they launch their new website!

I actually rather enjoy the Peco site since its revamp!

What does this say about my tastes in websites?

Model Rail needs to have current content that does not feature in the magazine to draw major traffic. Archived content is too limited in its appeal. They are faced with a bit of a dilema really as they don't want to give too much content away for free whilst at the same time promoting Model Rail and encouraging advertisers to pay for a spot on the website.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Model Rail needs to have current content that does not feature in the magazine to draw major traffic. Archived content is too limited in its appeal. They are faced with a bit of a dilema really as they don't want to give too much content away for free whilst at the same time promoting Model Rail and encouraging advertisers to pay for a spot on the website.I guess thats the dilema that all Model Rail mags face.

QUOTE What does this say about my tastes in websites?

Have a look at this website. This is what I would like to see from Model Rail companies.

Precision Craft

You get a really good look at the product which is something you don't get with any of the guys I mentioned above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts