Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all , does anybody out there know of any good insurance companys that cover large model railways?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
You could try Taylor Mcgill www.modelrailwayinsurance.co.uk

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i use them. they seem ok but then i havent had to make a claim yet!

Make sure you list your more expensive items clearly.

A freind of mine had 40 loco's and valued them at £2500.
unfortunatly one of those was a trix big boy and thats the one that got nicked. the insurance company worked out the average for 1 loco and wouldnt pay him more than £62.50

He was not best pleased. most of his other loco's were not very good and the total was about right. but because he hadnt listed the trix they wouldnt pay.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 29 Jan 2007, 12:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>iMake sure you list your more expensive items clearly.

Peter

Good advice there Peter.

Regards

John

·
Registered
536 Posts
Why not simply add the value of the layout and rolling stock to your normal house contents insurance policy?? Any items of exceptional value can be specified separately. The cost of this is considerably cheaper than arranging a special model insurance policy.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Brian,

You can add your layout to your domestic contents insurance, however, if you are transporting it to a show or similar the chances are it will not be covered. Having said that once the layout is at a show it should be covered by the organisers insurance.

Regards

John

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi John
I agree re the transportation issue and insurance.
The original question by camelotjcn never mentioned anything about this though and I assumed the originator is referring to a fixed home layout and stock?
I suspect that if you were to take a layout and stock to exhibitions the 'travel part' of the cover could be added to your home insurance for an additional cost? Much like loosing jewellery/credit cards etc would be covered when away from home

At the venue, the exhibitions insurance will cover this. However I would always check this issue before agreeing to attend an exhibition!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 29 Jan 2007, 14:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi John
I agree re the transportation issue and insurance.
The original question by camelotjcn never mentioned anything about this though and I assumed the originator is referring to a fixed home layout and stock?
I suspect that if you were to take a layout and stock to exhibitions the 'travel part' of the cover could be added to your home insurance for an additional cost? Much like loosing jewellery/credit cards etc would be covered when away from home

At the venue, the exhibitions insurance will cover this. However I would always check this issue before agreeing to attend an exhibition!

I meant to add the bit about exhibitions to my earlier post, but forgot!! I then thought that I should add it. Your last comment about ensuring the organiser is covered is very pertinent.

Regards

John

·
Registered
882 Posts
Most home insurance policies can have "high risk" (all-risks) added to them
This allows you take any and all possessions, up to the value limit, out of the premises and for any purpose
This includes mobile phones, PDA, laptops, and model railways!
Some insurers prefer you to list specific items, but these policies tend to be expensive and over-priced, so check for insurers with general policies, the additional cost is about 5% to 8% of a policy without all-risks
However, you should note that the policy does NOT include these items once they are in an UNLOCKED vehicle (check the small print)

This will allow you to transport your model railway, from home in your own vehicle or a hire vehicle, to/from an exhibition and/or club and/or meeting
However, it does NOT include its use once there
You would then need public liability insurance, but most clubs or exhibtions should have their own and you are normally asked to contribute to this

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers all , for all your replies , got a quote earlier from one of the addresses supplied earlier and seems to be ok . Thanks again , and for those of you that want to know what im insuring it's this www.camelotjunction.co.uk, most of the household insurance companys would not cover me because of the size .

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm surprised by that, as most household policies will cover up to £80,000 and even my extensive collection is just under £5,000 albeit comparing 40 locos in N gauge, DCC controlled including computer, and a layout measuring 12 feet by 10 feet
I've had pretty much the same quotes for the last two years, last year with eSure and this year with Lloyds TSB, both policies at about £140 and include £10,000 on high-risk

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I actually work for an Insurance Company and would advise that you read any potential policy in great detail. Do not use the cost of the policy as a deciding factor. List all expensive models and be specific and value them. If you do intend to take them to exhibitions or anywhere else for that matter ensure that you have specified portable valuable items on your policy.

If you put them on your domestic policy then the person dealing with your claim will not know anything about model trains so you will need to provide substantiation of their value. It would come as a surprise to some of these people that these items cost hundreds of pounds.

A model rail insurance policy may be the go as it should cater for the specific requirements of the railway modeller. Don't take this for granted though. One thing I would say is that when reading the policy booklet and it says the word "may" don't fall into the trap of thinking that wont apply to me, read it as "will". Just read any insurance policy and you'll see what I mean.

Also if you have your layout in the garage make sure you have adequate security and that items in the garage are covered.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 29 Jan 2007, 22:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i use them. they seem ok but then i havent had to make a claim yet!

Make sure you list your more expensive items clearly.

A freind of mine had 40 loco's and valued them at £2500.
unfortunatly one of those was a trix big boy and thats the one that got nicked. the insurance company worked out the average for 1 loco and wouldnt pay him more than £62.50

He was not best pleased. most of his other loco's were not very good and the total was about right. but because he hadnt listed the trix they wouldnt pay.

Peter

As a connected issue to this, have a look at http://www.gppsoftware.com/cmsstock

This software is a database system, fully tailored to the needs of railway modellers maintaining records of their collection. You can print out reports of your collection for insurance purposes.

The software also doubles up as a maintenence scheduling and general information repository tool, allowing you to record information against each model, including pictures.

Graham Plowman

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have a look at edb-enterprises.com/modelrailroad.aspx where you will also find a model railroad inventory system. It is always good to have more than one choice and the chance to compare the available systems.

Kind regards.

Johan

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
QUOTE (Johan de Villiers @ 12 Feb 2007, 03:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have a look at edb-enterprises.com/modelrailroad.aspx where you will also find a model railroad inventory system. It is always good to have more than one choice and the chance to compare the available systems.

Kind regards.

Johan

Interesting you should point this product out.
Just looking at the screen prints it looks to me like the authors of this product have copied some areas of our CMS Stock product: http://www.gppsoftware.com/cmsstock
There's a few field names which are really unique because we had to make them up and these guys have got them as well!

But they don't appear to have anything related to maintenence schedules or DCC, which are probably some of the most useful parts.

Graham Plowman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts