Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am currently building a model railway of the GCR that in in Loughborough (Leicestershire) I have nearly done the building (Entrance hall and Ticket Office) and if Any of you know or been to it it is just like a end to end railway (like most i know) but i am wanting a bit more out of it ie:- a continious loop that goes round the room. so i came on here for some advice and comments of what to do!!! The bridges are from prototype models and the brick work is from a website that i downloaded. It has come together quite well so if any of you have some comments and advice i'd like to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (iankemp @ 1 Jun 2007, 19:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

I am currently building a model railway of the GCR that in in Loughborough (Leicestershire) I have nearly done the building (Entrance hall and Ticket Office) and if Any of you know or been to it it is just like a end to end railway (like most i know) but i am wanting a bit more out of it ie:- a continious loop that goes round the room. so i came on here for some advice and comments of what to do!!! The bridges are from prototype models and the brick work is from a website that i downloaded. It has come together quite well so if any of you have some comments and advice i'd like to know.

Thanks
You may be aware that there is a layout of Ruddington station on permanent display in the Transport Heritage Centre near the actual site of the station. It is set in the 50s/60s and looks pretty impressive if you're after some inspiration! The visible part of the layout is end to end but it loops round to a fiddle yard behind the backscene.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dear Ian,
Funnily enough I travelled on the GCR on Saturday night, it was a special train hauled by two class 20 diesels. I never heard one before and they make a very distinctive sound with a pronounced whistling, hence their nick name 'whistling wardrobes'.

Back to your post, prior to the lines closure by British Rail, it was a through station so your plan to build it as part of a continuous run layout would be totally correct for the original. AFAIK it was part of a mainline route from London to Nottingham with large stations at Derby and Leicester. Not sure where it went after Nottingham but I noticed that on the old timetable at Loughborough it included Sheffield.

Best wishes, Simon

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (SimonBoulton @ 4 Jun 2007, 11:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Prior to the lines closure by British Rail, it was a through station so your plan to build it as part of a continuous run layout would be totally correct for the original. AFAIK it was part of a mainline route from London to Nottingham with large stations at Derby and Leicester. Not sure where it went after Nottingham but I noticed that on the old timetable at Loughborough it included Sheffield.

The main route went from London Marylebone through Rugby, Leicester and Nottingham to Sheffield then on over Woodhead to Manchester. Derby was on a branch. Only London to Aylesbury and a few bits round Sheffield and Manchester are still part of the national network. Ruddington (in my prevous post) was one of the small intermediate stations.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
There are loads of books on the Great Central for Inspiration and ideas available, I have several including one on the building of it in photographs. (The GC was the only mainline railway to be fully photographed during construction.

As an historical footnote the Great Central started out life as the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincoln Railway. I even have several books of regulations etc. dating to this period.

Regards

John

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
As another historical footnote, the Great Central through Loughborough was built to Continental loading gauge because the chairman of the company also had an interest in a contemporary Channel Tunnel project. Perhaps the ultimate 'what if' would be to imagine that this was actually built and add some European through trains!

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin)As another historical footnote, the Great Central through Loughborough was built to Continental loading gauge because the chairman of the company also had an interest in a contemporary Channel Tunnel project. Perhaps the ultimate 'what if' would be to imagine that this was actually built and add some European through trains!

Indeed.

Interestingly the GCR had very few facing points. to reduce derailments the track layout was designed very carefully to avoid them.

Gloucester model railway club has a layout that was based on the great central. i left that club (to go to university) about 10 years ago and i think the layout has evolved since then but still if you are in the area on a monday night, it is at elmscroft community centre. i am sure they would make you very welcome.

Peter

·
Registered
303 Posts
One of the most famous model railways based on The Great Central was Peter Denny's Buckingham Branch. He wrote a couple of books about it, for example this one published by Wild Swan:

Peter Denny's Buckingham Branch Lines Part 2 1967-1993 88 pages Softback
Peter Denny 1994 £9.95
The second part of this detailed account of what is undoubtedly one of the best model railways ever created. A real imaginative tour de force and superb modelling too - puts "Heckmondwyke" into perspective.

He was modelling the GCR before the Grouping of course,

Colombo

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Hi Ian,

Sounds like a great project, I thourght about modelling Loughbrough a few years back, even got round to going down to the site, drawind a few rough track plans and then when was back home with aid of peco track plans draw a full size oo layout. I moved the shed over to the left, re-alined the track bed to cross the Grand Union Canal, put the embankment back and added a fictisus bridge for a scenic break, if space was no issue (only the really lucky ones of us dont have this problem) I would of crossed the Midland Mainline and 'Bridged The Gap' accross to GCR(N), what operating potential this would give

You could even now do a 'what will be' by completly removing the current shed and installing the Workinton shed

Alass this was never to be, I instead decided to invent my own heratage railway, which three years years on is still miles away from even ready for 'playing' trains

I do hope you do build yours, just think of all those loco's you can use from passed to the present that have either visited or been restored down at GCR, Canadian Pacific was painted blue as modelled, Alderman E Drapper 45305, Sir Lamiel and next year just imagine Oliver Cromwell passing Tornado at speed
only hope that when Tornado is delivered they face her towards Loughbough as Cromwell is currently facing Leicester

If your a local to the GCR area then I am sure that you will get lots of help from everyone down there, I have always found them a very friendly bunch, well worth a platform ticket and a afternnon soon disapears in the shed

Happy modellin

Brian

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi been a while since posted on this one me thinks. Things have been on a roll lately. I have been building the Loughborough GCR. i have a few pics on a website :- http://www.railwaypictures.co.uk, you will need to type in GCR in the search box in top right corner though to see the pics!!

There are a few pics of the prototype to get an idea of the layout.

I have built the ticket office/entrance hall. just got to do the canopy on the front, I have layed slabs as well.Just gotta workout the platform layout now and also needing to go down and measure up to work out the scaling details.

I am currently building the Grand Union Bridge that is at the back of the shed.

On the Bigger scale of things workington shed is gonna be built on the old tip within the next 10 years and other stuff has also been happening as well.

http://www.bridgingthegap.org.uk
http://www.llwp.org.uk
http://www.gcrailway.co.uk

here is a few websites to have a look at to catch up on the real scale.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi all been awhile since i have posted anything on here on this thread. i have continued my work on my model railway and i have a really long thread on another website on this.

If you want to see more on this go to

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forum...09a23749a7fc89d

hope you enjoy what you see on this model railway of mine

COMMENTS ARE WELCOME!!!

Read from Page 1 to page 21!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks like a very solid start to a fantastic layout! The station kit looks impressive

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well if you go to the link i have provided you with there is alot more pics of what has happened with it. the boards are now further nearer the platform area. will be making the station area once i have got up there!!!

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forum...opic.php?t=7917

GO AND LOOK!!!!!!

PLEASE LOOK AND COMMENT ENJOY THE PICCIES AS WELL!!!!

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
QUOTE (iankemp @ 4 Apr 2008, 21:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>STILL HERE?? WHAT YA WAITING FOR??? GO AND LOOK USING THE LINK PROVIDED!!!!
Pics looking great!

You must have deep pockets or are on a deal to promote that certain model shop on Heathcote Street in Notts! I used to go regularly until about 4 years ago, they seam to have a unique pricing system in there: 1- 'rrp plus 10%', 2- 'how mush can we rip you off'

I now prefer to spend my hard earned ££'s at Sileby or a little nearer for me, Caistor

Keep up the great modelling

Brian

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 5 Apr 2008, 22:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pics looking great!

You must have deep pockets or are on a deal to promote that certain model shop on Heathcote Street in Notts!

Brian

nah just get enough money to save up. i guess they have to put there prices up as Bachmann and hornby do. i have checked the prices from Bachmann and hornby and they seem to be cheaper than them. but hey bit of publicity for them won't hurt!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Definitely been a while since posting anything on here!

Well there has been a few changes! I have now moved to Scotland and live right opposite a railway station and it is on one of the gates to the highland railway.

I am not doing Loughborough anymore but doing Rothley as i don't have to scratch build the buildings! I have bought the whole set of the GCR. Ok i bought them whilst they were on sale and got them quite cheap. I have got to get the GCR signal box that has been released.

I have also been expanding the layout to combine an LMS station that is not far from the Girlfriends flat. In the space of 2 mile radius there is 3 railway stations. So part of the layout will be LMS and the other part will be LNER. But i guess with it being the BR era it doesn't matter.

This is the facebook page i have set up for showing off what i have been doing!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Great-Centra...9134995?fref=ts

So if your on facebook....

PLEASE LIKE THE PAGE!!!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 5 Jun 2007, 08:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As another historical footnote, the Great Central through Loughborough was built to Continental loading gauge because the chairman of the company also had an interest in a contemporary Channel Tunnel project.
And for any hill-walkers he also created the Watkin path to the summit of Snowdon.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 21 Posts