Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody.
I have a friend who goes to the North London Area on a regular basis. Could anyone please tell me of Model Railways Shops in the North London Area so that I can get them to pick up some items for me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
There was one Wembley way I think. If it is still there it may be listed on the Hornby website as a service dealer, you could always check on the Bachmann site too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What do you call "North London"? - if Essex is included, I can recommend Flair - Rail at Burnham-on-Crouch (tel 01621 786198); the shop is only a mile or so from Mangapps Steam Railway Museum, which may also be of interest!

Regards
Paul

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
london is really a model shop free zone. the only ones i know of on the tube are wheels of steel downstairs in grays antiques. nead bond street.

the signal box in leightonstone is also a good one. but apart from the aforementioned modelzone in holborn (i walk past it on my way home.) thats your lot.

The one in wembly was actully in harrow. it was the aptly named harrow model shop. this went bust about 4 years ago. the kits they made are still available from phil radly. under the radly models badge.

Peter

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (PaulG @ 16 Jun 2008, 11:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What do you call "North London"? - if Essex is included, I can recommend Flair - Rail at Burnham-on-Crouch (tel 01621 786198); the shop is only a mile or so from Mangapps Steam Railway Museum, which may also be of interest!

Regards
Paul

Hello.

My daughter visits someone in Crouch End which is somewhere in North London. Her friend is driving back to Ireland soon so I was going to get Track & points & save on postage as well. I know from visiting the UK that the best model shops are no where near London but I was hoping that there might be some hidden gem somewhere in North London which would be easy for her to reach.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Unfortunately North London isn't your ideal place for model shops. I used to live in Crouch End for a while and I can tell you that it has an awesome array of Indian Restaurants and trendy cafes. So maybe go for a curry instead.

There is an interesting walk that goes through Crouch End too called Parklands walk which follows the old rail track from Highgate to Finsbury Park. The track has been lifted now but you see remnants of the old Crouch End station platform and go over old railway bridges. That's about as railway as it gets I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 16 Jun 2008, 22:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unfortunately North London isn't your ideal place for model shops. I used to live in Crouch End for a while and I can tell you that it has an awesome array of Indian Restaurants and trendy cafes. So maybe go for a curry instead.

There is an interesting walk that goes through Crouch End too called Parklands walk which follows the old rail track from Highgate to Finsbury Park. The track has been lifted now but you see remnants of the old Crouch End station platform and go over old railway bridges. That's about as railway as it gets I'm afraid.

Thanks Neil.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There was a model shop some years ago in Holloway Road, on the East side a hundred yards or so North of the East Coast main line railway bridge. It was a general model shop but had some railway items. It's at least ten years since I passed that way so I cannot say if it still exists. I'd be suprised if it did. The economics of a modest profit from model sales don't go well with rises in inner London rents! My old haunt of Woolwich in SE London in the 1950s had 4 decent model shops handling Hornby, Triang, Mecanno, Dinkies etc - they were all gone by the end of the 1980s!

North of London isn't well-populated either. K&S Models at Stevenage hold a good stock at full prices; Junction 20 Models at King's Langley, on the old A41, now bypassed, is more modest in scale but easy to park near and doesn't stick so closely to the price lists.

Regards,
John Webb

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 17 Jun 2008, 11:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There was a model shop some years ago in Holloway Road,
John Webb
Thank was probably Bernie Victors shop - AFAIK no connection with the current Victors.

Again, AFAIK Bernie retired at about the same time the lease was up - last time I passed the shop was still empty.

Local model shops continually decline as the box shifters get bigger. When there are only boxshifters left to buy from people may then realise that bottom line is not everything.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Just remembered something else. If you take the W7 north from Crouch End you come to Muswell Hill where there is a company called Muswell Models. They do buildings and etched brass accessories.

This seems to be more of a mail order outfit however they may allow you to come and pick up an order to save on postage.

If you time it right once a year they have a model rail bash at Alexandra Palace too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts