Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Melbourne.

Newbie here is setting up a layout in the Antique and I would appreciate your comments! I have a couple of the Bachmann La Fayettes (Yes I know they are HO, and american, but since they will be in rural england I posted here. I am of the belief that Norris engines from Philadelphia were used on the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway because of the Licker Incline). I am taking inspiration from a Phaidon book "Early Railway Prints". It would appear that the railway sleepers were "buried" so at the risk of causing a commotion
, would I attempt such a feat on my re-creation.

Looking forward to your musings!

Cheers Bluey

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
If you really want to go 'dawn of railways' then true scale is a near necessity. If you standardise on HO use P87, for 4mm/ft use P4. (The latter will be easier as UK wheel forms like split spoke and curly spoke are or have been available.) The reason for this is that many early vehicles have the wheels either outside frames and fully visible or between frames, and the vehicles are so small as to make accomodating over width tyres and under width gauge very difficult.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
ballast was laid over the sleeper tops for many decades after the early railways started.......one reason was to make it safer for horses, regularly used for shunting.

Also, consider ''baulk road'' trackage, whereby the rails [not true vignoles section, though] were laid on longitudinal baulks of timber, spaced at intervals with cross pieces......the classic example of this trackage being used by IK Brunel on his broad gauge great Western Railway.

Turnouts, or points, often were of the type known as ''stub points'', which did not have point blades as we commonly know them....but what was effectively an entire piece of moving trackwork.....imagine a peco point, hacksawed through entirely, at the place where the moving blades join the closure rails?....then instead of the point blades, and the remains of the stock rails, one simply has a moving piece of flex track, aligning with either of the cut-off ends of the stock rails [the frog end]....

Small turntables were commonly used, right up until the mid 1930's and beyond....for allowing wagons to access ackward building entry's, etc

However, up until around the 1880's,I believe, these small turntables were commonly used in stations, even at platforms and near running lines.

Peco used to make a plastic wagon turntable kit......

Much use was made of horses and capstans for shunting....hence the ballasting over the sleeper tops.......this 'over-ballasting' can be seen in photo's I have access to, right up until the 1890's.

There has been much rtr stuff from the likes of Bachmann in HO in the past.....although [UK prototypes[!}] there were the famous items of stock produced by Tri-ang years ago.......including the Rocket loco...but more importantly, the accompanying 4 wheel coaches, which I have seen ''kitbashed'' into may different variations......also I believe there were some kits to buld the ''chauldron-type'' mineral wagons......all these being 4 mm scale, of course.

plus, if memory hasn't failed me as usual.....there have been some whitemetal kits in the past, from folk such as K's [Keysers] for early locomotives...from the 1850's?

also....check out the Backwoods Miniatures range...do they not have a vertical boiler loco kit?

If choosing HO scale.....then I believe the German manufacturers like Preiser, etc also made some chaming,if expensive, horse-drawn vehicles.

NO MORRIS MINORS PLEASE!!

for archive and reading ,may I suggest seeking out some of those old LOCO PROFILE booklets? [from Profile Publications....long-since defunct]...these may be had via ebay or 2nd hand at shows....#s 7 and 11 cover the Rocket loco and Norris locos respectively......although you may find #15, which covers the Crewe-type locos equally useful for information.

Joining the HRMS [historical model railway sty] will find many like-minded early years modellers [no, not Brio enthusiasts!].....http://www.hmrs.org.uk/

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input.

I was unsure re ballasting as I am using artist's impressions and I was unsure of whether artistic licence was being used. Apparently not! I am still not certain of what track I am going to use but I am leaning towards using Hornby series Three (cos I wanna give myself a headache I think) I'll get some off That International Auction Site and see how it looks in situ. I was tossing up whether to use Trix C Track, so I seem to be at either end of the track spectrum

I think there may be some serious kit bashing required to find some wagons of the right era. My passenger carraiges are tiny, and every other wagon on the market dwarfs them. Still it slows down the purchasing when you have narrow parameters.

Cheers, bluey

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for such a great thread! I have spent a most enjoyable evening reading through it and have got a bit to chew over.

The section on turntables has me thinking. Great for getting a small space to do some big work!

Also a great read regarding slips and their direction.

Cheers and thanks again, Bluey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts