Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am currently building the GCR as it was with a few later editions to it.

Please see below for pictures of my work and let me know what you think!!!

Thanks for looking at this.
Please could you leave a reply.

Ian

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have now got pictures of what i am doing a model railway of.

here are some pictures of of my layout. There is a couple of pictures i did that i used for a estimate before setting to on the proper modelling.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Architecture looks good, but my memory of the GC consists of rather different rolling material. Then again, I'm talking about the 1950s, when it was still a real railway. Your plans look very ambitious. Still, good luck. Will follow developments with interest.

woolwinder

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
for a real feel of the old Great Central, I don't think you can beat digging out old RM articles, or books, on that famous model railway, ''Buckingham, Great Central'', by The Rev. Peter Denny?

I recall as a younger modeller being 'captivated' by the atmosphere and simplicity of P.Denny's articles on his ''Leighton Buzzard, for Linslade' station.

this was the 'branch' terminus from Buckingham.......a real ''shelf layout''...or 'plank' as they are referred to these days.

simply consisting of a 'run-round' loop, one side of which was the station platform.......if I recall rightly, all on a slight curve, bending ' towards' the platform, or a convex curve away from the viewer....

the sidings really only consisted of spurs off each end of the loop...I THINK! one was a loco shed...towards the buffers end of the loop?...but memory is digging deep there, as I no longer have the relevant RM to hand.

so, effectively, 4 points for the whole station, arranged as two opposing crossovers!

I think the whole board lenght was no more than about 5 feet or so??

by about a foot wide?

all made all the more atmospheric by Denny's attention to GC detail..yet not 'superdetailed?'

stock added to the feel too...coaches being largely 6 wheelers, maybe some fours as well......the secret behind a small layout being...small stock?

3 or 4 six wheelers, or a four wheeler as well, appearing to supply longer trains than a couple of bogie coaches?

this being a secret of 'less is more?'

something the post war [2] era struggles to provide?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The building was made from scratch it was constructed from looking at pictures and counting bricks and the brick paper was printed off a website (can't remember the website was). but it was scratch built.I will be scratch building the buildings from the brick paper i have got. The only thing that will be a bit of a shop bought will be the platform and that will be metcalfe paltform kit and the rest of it will be what ever i can lay my hands on within reason of fitting in and blending it in so it not be too notice able. The bridge was made from prototype models Great central railway bridge kit from my old local model shop. I scanned in the original and used prints of it. Best that way cos i can print out what i need.

At the moment building is going at a slow pace. The pictures that show a layout is just made up for mocking up purpose. but i will be running the stock on it that is on there as a preserved railway but with all the old track layout (but WILL be doing the "Top shed" project as well. It will be added but not yet the spur off the mainline will be added for work to be continued after the main project is done.

It will be done and it will be a continious loop one side Loughborough and the other Leicester Central Eventually. (ok there will be some stations missing) it will have the embankment leading in to leicester central from the south and the embankment from the north will act as the embankment from Leicester Central South side and lead to Loughborough from the north.

Keep watching this space for updates!!!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have now got a track plan of the shed area. i will be doing the spur towards the shed but will leave it for time being untill i have done other bits with the mainline layout.

i will be using the spur as a siding for wagons or coaches and loco's. it may look efective with the locos passing by with freight and passenger trains.

i have got a variety of preserved engines to run on the layout.

1 9f
2 8f
1 castle class
1 manor class
1 standard class
1 2mt 2-6-0
1 2-6-2
1 terrier 0-6-0
1 pug 0-4-0
1 jinty
1 bullied pacific
2 jubilees
12 peaks
1 08
1 mogul
1 2-6-4 4P
1 4-6-2 Duchess of Sutherland Northern Belle
1 4-6-2 Princess Margeret Rose
1 4-6-2 Princess Elizabeth The Royal Train
! 4-6-2 The Flying Scotsman (train pack)
about 30 coaches
about 20 wagons

There will be a few sidings made for the locos to be stabled opposite the station area added and it will be blended in with the setting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i also have

2 class 25's
5 class 20's
1 4-6-2 britania william wordsworth
1 4-6-2 britania bodecia VSOE box set
1 2-6-4 4P Fowler LMS

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There is at least one book about the prototype you may find of use:

The Making of a Railway by L T C Rolt - originally published 1971 and again in 1999. ISBN 0 905 778 286. Contains a large number of photos of the GCR under construction and at its opening. Much useful detail of station buildings, fittings etc.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>1 2-6-4 4P Fowler LMS
Is yours a good runner? My example seems to have intermittent power pickup and regularly stalls on live frog point work.

David

·
Registered
88 Posts
mine runs ok. is yours brand new? I got mine a few days after it came out. i have ran mine over peco insulfrog points and it seems ok. could be a short

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE mine runs ok. is yours brand new? I got mine a few days after it came out. i have ran mine over peco insulfrog points and it seems ok. could be a short

Thanks for the reply. The problem with my unit is that the pickup springs have been anything but straight since I took it out of the box. I don't think they make consistent contact with the wheels. I have long suspected that this is not as it is meant to be. Unfortunately I bought it from a stand at a show whose name I can't remember so I have no recourse there. I will just have to persevere and apply some remedies myself. I will probably try some of the suggestions made for adding tender pickups. I am quite keen to try the "gold wire" solution.

David

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i know you may have tried this but i will suggest it anyway, try bending them slightly against the wheel to see if they work better. or take it to a model shop that does repair, apart from that it's all i can think of.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE i know you may have tried this but i will suggest it anyway, try bending them slightly against the wheel to see if they work better. or take it to a model shop that does repair, apart from that it's all i can think of.

You're right; I have tried it. It may be that the best solution is a new set of pickups. In the meantime I shall perservere and from time to time try new remedies.

Thanks for the suggestion.
David

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to the Ruddington Gala on the Bank Holiday monday a special that runs from Ruddington to Loughborough North (just before the spur on the mainline). A pair of class 20's was pulling this train they were top and tailing.

I have taken some pictures

This picture shows Loughborough Shed in the distance, but if you look carefully, you can see a DMU.

This picture is taken with a quarter magnification

This picture is taken with no magnification added.

There was a representative from http://www.bridgingthegap.org.uk (website have a look) he had a model of a future plan of what it could look like if and when the "Gap" is bridged. He was very informative of what is going off. The model is done in Z or N guage.

This is a view of a model smaller that what i am in the process of building, but mine is going to be double tracked.

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Well that is some great modelling Ian, if I wasn't on a public computer I would be dribbling all over the screen

Is it going to be a mobile layout or just home based? Would love to see it

Will have to meet up at Soar Valley Show end of Sept. GCR is my fav' Heritage line

Brian

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At the min mine will be home based layout untill i have done it and then i know what area will be required to set it all up. There is a few other websites that is available

http://www.bridgingthegap.org.uk
http://www.llwp.org.uk
http://www.nthc.co.uk
http://www.gcrn.co.uk
http://www.gcrailway.co.uk

When the gap is plugged it will produce a 18 mile double mainline track that would really be unbeatable. It could set a presidence to the other heritage railways. It will be the best heritage mainline to have been restored, It is ashame that they won't be doing Ruddington for the time being. I will be going to the model railway show at Garendon High School hopefully. (money pending and if i haven't been set homework due to going back to college. To do multimedia art.

but i will post pics up and even maybe videos of the layout when it is done. at the min it won't be dcc cos of the cost of doing all the locos i have. roughly around 32 locos would cost quite abit to convert to DCC so for the time being it will be the normal control. it be alot easier to control that way. i will be having isolating tracks on part of it like in a siding so locos can be stabled and when i have done the shed it be alot easier to manage as well. well that is what i feel and think at the min.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the model shown that is in white with locos on is a model from the Bridging the Gap and not mine just to save any confusion. that is in z or n guage mine will be in 00 guage.i have estimated that it will be roughly around 24 foot long but it will be looped so it will be having leicester central on the other side

here is a plan of leicester Central (this is a later project after loughborough Station) but there will be track layed in readyness for it though. There will be a embankment made like the one i have made and it will be done very simular to how it was (minus a few staitons and a few alterations).

Hope you like the plans so far and the pictures of progress ( i know it is slow but space is in much demand at the min)
Ian

1 - 20 of 61 Posts