Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
>1 2-6-4 4P Fowler LMS
Is yours a good runner? My example seems to have intermittent power pickup and regularly stalls on live frog point work.

David

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
QUOTE mine runs ok. is yours brand new? I got mine a few days after it came out. i have ran mine over peco insulfrog points and it seems ok. could be a short

Thanks for the reply. The problem with my unit is that the pickup springs have been anything but straight since I took it out of the box. I don't think they make consistent contact with the wheels. I have long suspected that this is not as it is meant to be. Unfortunately I bought it from a stand at a show whose name I can't remember so I have no recourse there. I will just have to persevere and apply some remedies myself. I will probably try some of the suggestions made for adding tender pickups. I am quite keen to try the "gold wire" solution.

David

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
QUOTE i know you may have tried this but i will suggest it anyway, try bending them slightly against the wheel to see if they work better. or take it to a model shop that does repair, apart from that it's all i can think of.

You're right; I have tried it. It may be that the best solution is a new set of pickups. In the meantime I shall perservere and from time to time try new remedies.

Thanks for the suggestion.
David

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
QUOTE mine was LMS, his BR....
Ah, I think see a trend developing here; mine's BR...

Thanks for the thoughts, I will give them a go.

David

·
Administrator
10,021 Posts
QUOTE Hi David
I have had the same problem . I pulled the pick-ups out of the slot in the chassis under frame ( wheel retainer thing) straightened the pickups( but with a slight bend towards the wheel rims) and replaced them with great care - the tips must be in firm contact with the rear of the driving wheel tyres. If they are slightly out of line the tips can be bent into the wheel spokes as soon as the loco moves and seize up- then you will have to start again!
The more times this happens the worse the dents and disstortions in the pick-ups become - then you will definately need new ones
Mine is OK now hope it works for you. Regards Tony (10001)

Thanks for the suggestions. The pickups on mine are close to the needing replacement stage as I have already spent some time trying to get the beggars into close contact. That's why I liked Richard's suggestion of some gold wire. The problem is particularly acute at the moment because I have some live frog slips which aren't actually live yet, so there's a big dead area for the loco to stall on.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.