Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi David

You said/re the fowler tank.

response:
my own fowler ran well out of the box - its a nice mechanism really... but I did work on a couple for a friend that didn't run so well. They were from differing batches - mine was LMS, his BR....

I found two things that helped the running quite a lot...

Disassemble and remove the pickups, bend them about another ten degrees towards the wheels - not too much & reassemble.

then...

get a finbreglass brush or something similar (perhaps about 800 grit wet and dry stuck to a plasticard or wood strip) and with the loco upside down & running at a good speed polish/remove the blackening from the back of the wheels.

On the two I worked on this was a bit heavy, and as it is actually not very conductive compared to bare metal, really affected pickup quality.

There is also a really nice contact enhancer called "De-ox it Gold" that really works well - in UK its probably sold in the hi-fi area in most electronic stores as its marketed mainly to audiophiles. Its original purpose is for connectors on hi-fi, but use it exactly as per instructions on wheel treads and wheel backs, and it does help pickup. My last use was on a really lovely ROCO loco that ran well except for an occasional hiccup - this tuff made a huge difference when paces on all contact areas and the problem disappeared 100%. My guess as to UK price is probably about a tenner per pack.

Kind Regards

Richard

·
Administrator
10,023 Posts
QUOTE mine was LMS, his BR....
Ah, I think see a trend developing here; mine's BR...

Thanks for the thoughts, I will give them a go.

David

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
must say mine is LMS so i think the bad luck of BR strikes again........

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
May i just take this moment to let you know that the Latest edition of Mainline magazine will be on sale later half of September. You can become a friends of the GCR by contacting them to get you copy 2-3 weeks earlier it will not cost to much. You will be helping a good cause. Just imagine having a 18 mile double track heritage line. It could happen with your help!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well it has been a few days since i have put something here. I am now at college doing a multimedia course and and also taken a administrator position on a railway site

http://www.transportcentre.co.uk

why not join up on there as well and discuss topics

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
hey all

i am gonna try and do some work on my railway today as i have nearly done my college homework so have decided i am gonna do some work on that. Next weekend, I may go over to B&Q to get some more MDF for some more boards and some more 2x1 lengths of wood for frame work.. I have been starting to buy more peco streamline 3ft lengths of track. has anyone seen them cheaper cos i have paid 2.35 each for them. I know you can buy a box of 25 for something like 60 quid. so if any of you know where i can get them cheaper please let me know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have decided not to do Leicster Central station now, instead i have decided to do Quorn or Rothley station now as it would look better for a Loop layout. well that is what i feel anyway plus it mean less work for me.

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
Rails in Sheffield are doing 25 yard packs of code 75 peco track for £46.50. Their usual postage charge is £3.50 but it might not be the same for such a large box. Fortunately I live close enough to call in when I visit Shefffield as I frequently do because my wife's relatives live there.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 27 Aug 2007, 21:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You're right; I have tried it. It may be that the best solution is a new set of pickups. In the meantime I shall perservere and from time to time try new remedies.

Thanks for the suggestion.
David

Hi David
I have had the same problem . I pulled the pick-ups out of the slot in the chassis under frame ( wheel retainer thing) straightened the pickups( but with a slight bend towards the wheel rims) and replaced them with great care - the tips must be in firm contact with the rear of the driving wheel tyres. If they are slightly out of line the tips can be bent into the wheel spokes as soon as the loco moves and seize up- then you will have to start again!
The more times this happens the worse the dents and disstortions in the pick-ups become - then you will definately need new ones
Mine is OK now hope it works for you. Regards Tony (10001)

·
Administrator
10,023 Posts
QUOTE Hi David
I have had the same problem . I pulled the pick-ups out of the slot in the chassis under frame ( wheel retainer thing) straightened the pickups( but with a slight bend towards the wheel rims) and replaced them with great care - the tips must be in firm contact with the rear of the driving wheel tyres. If they are slightly out of line the tips can be bent into the wheel spokes as soon as the loco moves and seize up- then you will have to start again!
The more times this happens the worse the dents and disstortions in the pick-ups become - then you will definately need new ones
Mine is OK now hope it works for you. Regards Tony (10001)

Thanks for the suggestions. The pickups on mine are close to the needing replacement stage as I have already spent some time trying to get the beggars into close contact. That's why I liked Richard's suggestion of some gold wire. The problem is particularly acute at the moment because I have some live frog slips which aren't actually live yet, so there's a big dead area for the loco to stall on.

David

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
i am gonna try and do some work on the railway this weekend as i have more or less done my assignments from college. i know it has been a wee while since i have written anything on here i have just been so busy with college.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
i have been doing abit more to the model railway boards

hope you like them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
here are a few more pics of the boards you can get a rough idea of the size of the layout i have got on

this is the latest there is another 2 boards but at the min there is not enough room to set it out properly.

Comment and advice is very welcome.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the track wasn't pinned down as i was just checking that the locos could get up the gradient at the end of the embankment as i am gonna be doing a smaller station like quorn or Rothley now. oh there are railway videos to the left of the picture. if any of you have any advice and comment please make them as it would be nice to have some feed back!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
yeh will be pinning the track down at a later date due to space being a problem here till we move it is just gonna be done in sections!and will have to do a screw through the board and use wires to connect to the track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (iankemp @ 8 Sep 2007, 11:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey all

i am gonna try and do some work on my railway today as i have nearly done my college homework so have decided i am gonna do some work on that. Next weekend, I may go over to B&Q to get some more MDF for some more boards and some more 2x1 lengths of wood for frame work.. I have been starting to buy more peco streamline 3ft lengths of track. has anyone seen them cheaper cos i have paid 2.35 each for them. I know you can buy a box of 25 for something like 60 quid. so if any of you know where i can get them cheaper please let me know.

Hi
My local model shop sell flexi track at £1.95 per lenght
The shop is located in Ilkeston and called Malc's models and he does mail order
they also have a website
www.malcsmodels.co.uk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
thanks for that. I live in loughborough now. so when we go to drop the step daughter off may well go and have a look at that!! I used to live in Long Eaton before and my local was rail and barter shop on the main street. he sells the flexi track for 2.60 a length it is nice to find somewhere a hell of a lot cheaper!!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Well it's coming along but I don't think the domestic authorities would appreciate it being laid in the kitchen on a regular basis.

May I give a piece of advice, when constructing with card/paper it is adviable to use a white glue and wipe excss off with a damp cloth.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
hi this is just an update really. I have on order some new engines. Oliver Cromwell, Sir Lamiel and Brocklebank Line. Unfortunately i haven't had time to do any more on the railway itself due to college work. But i haven't forgotten about it though. There have been plans for doing a bit more to it this weekend though. i will try and get some track pinned down so i can mark it out properly.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.