Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
some lucky bugger beat me to building the shed at loughborough GCR so i am gonna be cheeky and get the measurements and take pictures of it. i have a few but no measurements yet!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
just a small update. I now have my new locos they run like a dream. Sir lamiel Brocklebank line and Oliver Cromwell.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

This is how far i have got with the boards at the min i am awaiting some photographs so i can do the scenary as i have a 2 layer that needs to be done. I am trying to keep it true to the real thing apart from mine will be a loop version of the only double track preserved mainline. i will also try and do Quorn as a opposite station with possibly swithland reservoir as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
hi all been a while since i have posted anything on here! here is a link for you to check out it has all pics of the latest development!!!

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/iankemp/?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YA THINK!!!! COMMENTS ARE VERY WELCOME!!!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi, your buildings look very good, i live near loughborough and i visit the GCR a lot and i am a member of FOGCML(the gcr supportors group) so a know the railway very well and your model looks just like the real thing.

Are you going to build all of the sidings planned for the top shed project? if you you will need a huge amount of space! the engine shed alone in really big which is in the museum at louughborough so how big will your baseboards be when they are finished?

the great central gets lots of support from enthusiasts but i would like to know why does the railway only get around 100,000 visitors a year whereas the severn valley gets 250,000 visitors, when the GCR has double track, goods trains and fast mail drops.

·
In depth idiot
8,359 Posts
QUOTE (bigdave @ 12 Aug 2008, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the great central gets lots of support from enthusiasts but i would like to know why does the railway only get around 100,000 visitors a year whereas the severn valley gets 250,000 visitors, when the GCR has double track, goods trains and fast mail drops.
Location, location, location. This is applicable to more than just domestic property. I would suggest that the SVR is in a part of the country often chosen for a holiday, so it is well positioned for the casual tourist trade - and presents itself really well to obtain that business. The Great Central's London extension as built was largely 'in the middle of nowhere' which contributed to its' eventual closure, and thus availability for preservation. Bit of a double-edged sword there. The enthusiasts will come for the reasons described, but casual tourism is not going to bring in the numbers that might be obtained elsewhere. Blame Sir Edward Watkin?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Have not been to either for about 20 years but from memory the scenary at the SVR is better - not everyone goes just for the trains, again the GCR is not in a "touristy" location which probably does not help either.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have to agree with Brian et al - the scenery at the SVR is a lot more attractive than the urban areas of Loughborough etc. In addition if memory seves there are a number of other attractions nearby as well.

Regards

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
well this is a big up date now. i have just recently moved house and the layout has now being put together in the loft and the layout has had to be changed about abit due to space. the layout boards are nearly done but i have run out of boards and untill i get some money to buy them i will do what i can. i have done alot of track work but i have had to stop due to damaging some points and untill thy have been replaced it has been put on pause. the points will be motorized so i can controll the without moving about the layout to much. i have got 4 controllers for the layout and maybe 2 additional ones to control the points. i have been buying alot of ratio signals that can be controlled by the lever frame you get with them. i have been working out how many boards i have buy. all i need is 3 more boards (as previously mentioned will have to wait due to money). BUT there is something a lil more in need i ordered the new class 25 from modelzone the other month and it has now arrived. Link below.

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/modelzone_exclu...sel-details.htm

the boards total just over 40ft in length (rough guess) but they are in a big rectangle. so the layouts had a slight change. i have been running engines up and down the layout and they look great. i recently bought the bachmann version of hotchley hill signal box ( bachmann have called it hampton hill) but it is definately a GCR building. so watch out for pics to appear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
well i have been doing quite a bit to my layout NOT!!!! me and my partner broke up!!! layout i back to being how it was! in bits boards are stood up on end! I am now living at my mothers! but i am still building stuff!!!!
You may want to click on the link to get a very long update on stuff that has been going on wih it!!

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forum...f=22&t=7917

You will find a update that will surprise you!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Time to resurect this i think! I have been doing alot on my layout even if it has not been a proper layout! I have changed the idea somewhat though! I am going to be incorporating some of Toton sidings ie. high level goods line and even a partial yard area. i will even try adding catenary (if possible)! I am at the moment rebuilding the canal bridge from card board/ wood in to plasticard and even wills kits and a part of peco's girder. See my threads links via my signature below
plus this one that has a wee bit more detail in

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php...entral-railway/

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Hi iankemp
Really glad you restarted this thread, as you can see I have joined the forum while you have been absent, so this has
been my first opportunity to view. Most impressed and looking forward to seeing more, you see I also model the G.C.
Some of my humble efforts are in my gallery, please feel free to take a look. Hope to see more when you get your
loft sorted. Keep up the good work and enjoy.

cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yep put me down as a lurker, I also am building a high level that is GCR south of Woodford to go with my Central Lines Committee lower/main level, got about half way round so far, am stopped for wiring pouints and final fix on the lower level where unusually for me I am racked with indecision.

Anyway nice to have you back in the land of model rail so I will watch progress.

-it's still 19/5/1962

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Right all you lurkers of my thread.

Here is a REALLY BIG UPDATE AGAIN!!!

I have now got my own place up in Scotland and i have a WHOLE room to put the railway in! The room is 12ft4in x 11ft3in and there is all that room to put a layout in now! Iam thinking of putting a terminus in now as well! As i am living on the north west coast of Glasgow "Gateway to the highland railway!"

I am looking forward to ordering more boards so that this layout can once more start work on this layout. There will be an extensive sidings somewhere along the layout.

if you go to the threads that SHOULD be on my signature the RMweb one and the Newrailwaymodellers one you will see the start i have made again!

I live really close to Dumbarton railway! and i see the trains go by everyday!!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
A bit of the GC in Scotland can only benefit the culture of the place, the Highland started at Stanley Junction just north of Perth, you have a view of the West Highland (North British) which went to Fort William and Mallaig, after the landslip between Callander and Crianlarich the Caledonian line to Oban was connected to the West Highland and now also passes in front of your dwelling.

On Tuesdays it was possible to go by boat from Oban to Fort William, worth a trip esp as you have no advice to listen to from those who know best!

PS in Scotland never drink before 12 noon or you will need to be pumped out!

Happy memories for me of times past!

·
Registered
88 Posts
QUOTE (kristopher1805 @ 8 Aug 2011, 22:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>worth a trip esp as you have no advice to listen to from those who know best!

HUH wtf? i have been to oban and fort william by train and both days were very nice!

I live near Dumbarton and that is one of the lines that go to the highland railway. The next one that my girlfriend and i are gonna do is the trip to Mallaig!

I do listen to advice and tips.

At the the moment i am redoing a peak that has been resprayed and the nose altered so it sits higher like the Bachmanns do. It is a Mainline body and also it will be flshed glazed and a Craftsman kit put on it. but i know now that if i take my time with it, it will turn out ok. but if i was like i used to be and rush it then it will be looking crap.

i hardly drink and it is only when i go out to a rock club once a month or every other month!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.