Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im am returning to the hobby after many years and everything seems to have changed! I was interested on modeling a new section of the WCML and/or HS1 does anyone know any good websites where I can get ideas about rolling stock, track, catenary, signalling etc...

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hello Tom and welcome to the forum, For prototypical information www.wnxx.com is a good location for information for pictures and storage information.

With regards to what can be run depends on what era you are modelling. If it's a modern era I can help with regards to the north east/west era's around the north east of england as well as carlisle.

Some of the companies that run on that side of the country are (and I apologise if I miss any off but I'm sure many people will chip in).

EWS- DB Schenker, DRS, Virgin, Freightliner and Network Rail. loco numbers wise you can run classes, 08,20,31,43,47,563xx,57,60,66's, 220,221,390,143,156,158, and that's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Good Luck with it and I will keep an eye out for the progress of the layout.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Don't forget for HS1 there are Eurostars and errrr........................Eurostars.

Well at least until the Javelins appear.

Regards

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far.

It may intrest you that even though its been years since my last layout, checking out the Hornby website and seeing the Javilin was what got me back into the hobby!

As some of you may know Im from Jersey and so its a little hard for me to go and actually look at a railway (and I have never actually been on a train!).

I was thinking are Peco concrete sleepered tracks, Viessmann VIE4100 catenary and Eckon signalling the sort of things they would use on the WCML?

As for ballasting I wanted somthing fresh looking, what would you recomend.

***This is the picture that I would like to model***

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...WCML_and_M1.jpg

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Tom

The eckon signals are still good. But I've been using a company called CR Signals. The lad who runs it has some cracking lights for both signals and street lighting. I've got a set of his dolly ground signals to wire upto the layout when the time comes and I'm thinking of getting more as well. I'm sure he does OO gauge as well.

Not only that if you look on his site and I think still on ebay he also does the kits as well with several signals in the kits with instructions on how to build them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 7 Jan 2009, 17:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't forget for HS1 there are Eurostars and errrr........................Eurostars.

Well at least until the Javelins appear.

Regards

True, although HS1 was built to accommodate high-speed freight between Dagenham and Cheriton. Transfesa (who run the blue Ford parts trains) have said they would like to "look at being one of the first freight trains to run on the new route" (Joe J. Pickers, Forum, Modern Railways, Dec 08). So there's some variety, especially if you were to model a part of HS1 that's close to the 'classic' network.

Also, Tom was saying "WCML and/or HS1", and HS1 traffic can link to the west coast via Camden Road and Primrose Hill. That opens up all sorts of possibilities. In fact, seeing as we all tend to model the present day or various incarnations of the past (real and imagined), a near future or speculative layout could be really interesting. How's about pretending Nightstar had got off the ground?

I'll get back in me box now

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ah Brian you beat me to it. I was just about to say that. Either that or he can forget about running electric locos on his layout with all the downed powerlines.lol.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I can't suggest any websites not already mentioned, but for an idea of stock:

DRS:

DRS have a couple of bases on the west coast, so anything from classes 20, 37, 57 and 66 could appear, maybe even a Deltic soon!!

EWS:

Largely classes 60, 66, 67, but there are a couple of 37s running out of Warrington at the moment and they do have some 59s, but where they tend to operate I don't know.

Freightliner:

Freightliner have classes 66, 86 and 90 at the moment, but it wasn't that long ago that the DRS 57s were Freightliner 57s.

Virgin West Coast:

Virgins main fleet is 390 EMUs, but they use class 57s for 'thunderbird' duties and have some 221 DEMUs too.

First Transpennine Express:

FTPE operate a single class of unit now, the 185s, but they operate to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Blackpool and the Lake district from Manchester (joining the WCML at Preston). Before the last franchise change the Glasgow/Edinburgh trains were run by Cross Country.

Cross Country:

Cross Country no longer operate north of Manchester on the west coast, but have a fleet of 220 and 221 'Voyager' units along with some 170 'Turbostars' around Birmingham and Nuneaton.

Network Rail:

Network Rail tend to use 31s or 37s (they have four registered as class 97 (301-304)) for their work, sometimes they hire DRS 37s, and have two class 86s out and about.

London Midland:

LM have 350 EMUs running as far north as Liverpool.

West Coast Railway:

WCR are based in the north west and use a variety of locos from classes 33, 37, 47, 57 (57601 only).

Other trains:

WCR, DRS and EWS are usually involved in the charter train market, but a range of preserved steam locos and other diesel classes can be seen.

I may have forgotten a few details, but I'm sure this is a good start.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 9 Jan 2009, 02:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah Brian you beat me to it. I was just about to say that. Either that or he can forget about running electric locos on his layout with all the downed powerlines.lol.

Not a good week for travel - first the railways (having said that even Notwork Rail cannot be blamed for the light aircraft incident earlier) - northern streatch of the M25 closed both in directions for over 12 hours - utter chaos.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Just for completeness I'd point out that First Transpennine Express also operates some Class 170, but normally these run only between Manchester and Hull. London Midland also have class 323 EMUs round Birmingham and Northern run the same units on the electrified routes southwards from Manchester.

And while lots of people have had a bad time travelling this week, I've been from Nottingham to London once and York twice and every train has been on time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh just quickly, I have a class 66 "ews" and class 221 "virgin" so far.

What sort of stuff would the 66 be pulling? I was thinking maybe bachmann intermodal containers, seacows, heavy hoppers, but I don't know!

Also do they still use brakevans? Someone gave me a hornby (R6411) ews shark, but I thaught they had all disappeared.

Tom

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
An EWS 66 could be pulling just about any type of modern wagon. Intermodal wagons are probably most common towards the southern end of the WCML but at the northern end you see lots of the EWS bogie coal hoppers as produced by Bachmann. Be aware that you need lots of either, and lots of space, to make a convincing train! One reason I model N gauge...

An EWS 66 would not haul wagons lettered for Freightliner or some other operator [well probably happens occasionally but very rare] or wagons not fitted with air brakes. Check the three letter TOPS code on the data panel on the side of the wagon and the last letter should be A for an air braked wagon. In fact the non-air-brake types have pretty much disappeared but some models are from an earlier era.

Brake vans are virtually never seen on normal freight trains these days. The Shark is not for general traffic, it is a special purpose vehicle for spreading ballast so would go well with the Seacow which drops the ballast onto the track.

Virgin 221s regularly run between London and Chester/Holyhead and between Birmingham and Glasgow so will be seen anywhere on the main WCML route.

·
Registered
894 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 9 Jan 2009, 18:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.... and Northern run the same units on the electrified routes southwards from Manchester....

I'd forgotten about Northern, bizarre really, considering I work for them!!

Northern run class 142, 150 and 156 DMUs on and around the West Coast Mainline, as far north as Lancaster (they can be seen at Carlisle, but they go round the coast, or across from Newcastle, to get there).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts