Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Just for completeness I'd point out that First Transpennine Express also operates some Class 170, but normally these run only between Manchester and Hull. London Midland also have class 323 EMUs round Birmingham and Northern run the same units on the electrified routes southwards from Manchester.

And while lots of people have had a bad time travelling this week, I've been from Nottingham to London once and York twice and every train has been on time.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
An EWS 66 could be pulling just about any type of modern wagon. Intermodal wagons are probably most common towards the southern end of the WCML but at the northern end you see lots of the EWS bogie coal hoppers as produced by Bachmann. Be aware that you need lots of either, and lots of space, to make a convincing train! One reason I model N gauge...

An EWS 66 would not haul wagons lettered for Freightliner or some other operator [well probably happens occasionally but very rare] or wagons not fitted with air brakes. Check the three letter TOPS code on the data panel on the side of the wagon and the last letter should be A for an air braked wagon. In fact the non-air-brake types have pretty much disappeared but some models are from an earlier era.

Brake vans are virtually never seen on normal freight trains these days. The Shark is not for general traffic, it is a special purpose vehicle for spreading ballast so would go well with the Seacow which drops the ballast onto the track.

Virgin 221s regularly run between London and Chester/Holyhead and between Birmingham and Glasgow so will be seen anywhere on the main WCML route.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.