Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how far can one take Modeller's license? I'm planned a place on my first layout for a church but the track runs pretty close to it. I know it may seem a bit absurd to put a line near a church but can Modeller's License apply in this case?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I would say you can do as you please,churches and railways seem to go together very well especially in cornwall.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Modellers licence works 100% for each of us as we wish it to.

We'd never make a layout otherwise as everything from curves and distance onwards is to a large degree "modellers license"... anyway, the prototype wasn't always logical when things are looked at in hindsight - but if you research the history things usually happen for a reason:

In your case, Yes, maybe it is unlikely that the church would be built close to the railway... but there is a very good chance given the age of the country and the relatively new-fangled less than 200 year history of railways that perhaps the church was there long, long before the right of way was chosen for the railway?

I'd bet there are precedents for it in several places if you look hard for them ...This sort of thing applies often in the real world, so just go for it!

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** I've been thinking about the "Modelers license". This hobby is full of compromise for various reasons beyond all our control... so I think you keep it / pass with honours just by thinking about it and then trying your best.

Here is an example where a skilled modeler was issued with an infringement notice. (Said modeller knows right from wrong - he has more books than all the libraries I've seen put together and more knowledge on the railways of Britain than I will ever accumulate)

Decided to handlay track in a short section of his layout under rework.

Makes the comment in concersation about it while looking at my "ribblehead" layout trackwork... "When I re-lay the track I should make the panels x feet long with sleepers closer at each rail joint"

Bear in mind he knows, has the ability, owns a ruler and is already handlaying each sleeper that he has cut accurately to length

But - when I visit... Layouts done... BUT.... He didn't do it.

This is a really minor thing I'd not have noticed if he hadn't made an issue of it in the first place... but he was a man of huge awareness and had both ability and opportunity.... and importantly... also often advised others of things they should be doing "properly :) :) )

HE got at least a fine and a couple of demerit points off his modelers license because he failed to do as well as his knowlege and ability allowed him to do "As well as he was able" . (His real penalty was the "conscious error/self inflicted wound" was highlighted in the club rag - a punishment indeed)

So:

My point: A modelers license is actually hard to lose - all you need to do is THINK about things, and then try to do your best. Its the trying and doing your best within your knowledge, ability and budget that lets you grow as a modeler and lets your modelers license be for life.

Its only those who compromise needlessly that ever fail their modelers license :) :)

Richard

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Mate as far as I'm concerned it's YOUR layout you do anything you want to. Quite frankly you will probably find a prototype for just about anything as Iv'e been on train rides and some private houses are practicaly next to the railway line!!

Remember model railways are a HOBBY and should be enjoyed as such.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
A license to model is available from the domestic authorities. Cost varies but if you use the computer to remember birthdays and especially wedding anniversaries (well the current one anyway) then all you need worry about is folk from either club or forum or possibly both. Don't know about your club (do you have one ?) but we seem rather forgiving here since we also had to obtain the license.

Who was it who said there was a prototype for everything ?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 25 Feb 2009, 08:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Who was it who said there was a prototype for everything ?

I think that was me in the post above BobB

Kind regards

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi,

The modellers choice of what and how to model it is open and should be left so on your layout if it looks good to you and your happy go with it.
As long as the track is supported well in any areas bridging a gap or on a hillside edge you have a free hand.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (TheOldMan @ 25 Feb 2009, 02:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just how far can one take Modeller's license? I'm planned a place on my first layout for a church but the track runs pretty close to it. I know it may seem a bit absurd to put a line near a church but can Modeller's License apply in this case?
As others have said, it's quite likely you will find churches (and any other sort of building) close to a railway line. Possibly one of the best examples of a church near a railway line is Southwark Cathedral near London Bridge station where the line to Cannon Street is on a viaduct that goes round virtually three sides of the Cathedral. The noise of the trains, particularly wheel flange squeal, is clearly audible inside except when the organ and congregation are in full voice with a hymn!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I have only been doing this for 14 months and spent endless hours fretting over endless details etc.. but after days spent/wasted trying to find that perfect compromise ,I worked out that too much worrying over such things dont get your trains running and can ruin the enjoyment of what is basically a fun pastime for most of us.So now I lay something down temporarily and see if Im happy with it..then I get the glue out! Same thing applies with my band,we have pondered over a difficult song for days then ended up doing it our own way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A modellers licence is always issued to all of us. You may, however consider modelling in diorama..where the viewing angles are more restricted. You could then consider scaling the church to appear further behind. I work in 4mm scale but some background features are 1.75mm/ft. Colour also changes with distance, remember.
regards
John

·
Registered
123 Posts
just been in the loft to dig my licence out and it definitley says as long as its my layout i do as i like and s*d em all .it even states if i model in 00 i can use h0 track [peco ] and TT buildings. so as long as im happy the rest of the world can model in 7" guage , billy

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Don't know what sort of license you guys have but mine definitely has no age restrictions or expiry date on it.

I would suggest that, given the currrent UK legislation regarding ageism, you find someone to sue for age discrimination. You could spend the winnings on more trains.

·
Registered
84 Posts
While the licence may be valid for life... after sixty a full medical is required every 6 months to maintain validity.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts