Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
As there is a wealth of experience on tap on this site, maybe someone can help.
I've just retired to Mazarron in Murcia Spain, (thanks to Mr B...r and co) and was wondering if anyone knows of any model railway clubs/enthusiasts/shops in the Murcia region. I'm primarily interested in all things Southern
but all things steam fascinate me.
Any Information will be most welcome.
With Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is someone in Alicante who advertises both stock from UK manufacturers and a club/modelling classes. I think they have a connection to The Kit Connection.

I've bought from them once and was pleased with what I had (an otherwise unavailable kit) but they aren't cheap. Then again they've got to get this stuff to Spain. Certainly couldn't complain about the service.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Tony
I'm just about to retire, pay off the mortage and think seriously about the future years to come.
Spain has always been at the back of my mind as an option, but basically I'm to scared to make the leap!
Have you lived / had a property out there before and had pleanty of experiece of the country and its customs etc before you moved?
Enjoy the summer sun!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Brian @ 19 Apr 2007, 09:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tony
I'm just about to retire, pay off the mortage and think seriously about the future years to come.
Spain has always been at the back of my mind as an option, but basically I'm to scared to make the leap!
Have you lived / had a property out there before and had pleanty of experiece of the country and its customs etc before you moved?
Enjoy the summer sun!
Hi Brian,
No - until I came out in October last year I had only spent two nights in Mainland Spain, I'd been to Tenerife and Minorca for holidays.
Basically I retired in 2005 and not being able to find a job to eke out my pension, I was thinking of moving to South of France where my daughter was planning to move - at least I spoke a little schoolboy French! However she suggested Spain as having a large ex-pat community and the language would be less of a problem. So I started looking on-line and found Murcia region - which is just starting to be developed I found a site came down looked around and found a villa that suited me. Paid a deposit in October and having sold my flat in UK moved down here in February this year.
Neighbours are nice, lots of Spanish speak English, there are translator services to help out with doctors and things, my Spanish lawyer speaks good English and is sorting out residents permits and taxation. So all's working well - the weather is good and the wine is cheap . Lots of properies at reasonable prices on developments and even Spanish housing is reasonable.
Come visit Murcia and hire a car - but look on web first to see where appeals.
Take the plunge..
Tony

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Spain. I have been living here in Benidorm for quite some time now. There is a model railway club in torrevieja but I do not have any details. I have my own Barchester model railway, parts of which have been posted on these forums as demos in card modelling. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to get in touch.
This link will take you to the Barchester postings on the forum.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/lofiv....php/t1127.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (CeeDeeI @ 25 Apr 2007, 19:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi there and welcome to Spain. I have been living here in Benidorm for quite some time now. There is a model railway club in torrevieja but I do not have any details. I have my own Barchester model railway, parts of which have been posted on these forums as demos in card modelling. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to get in touch.
This link will take you to the Barchester postings on the forum.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/lofiv....php/t1127.html
Thanks CeeDee1
The only (?) problem at the moment is where to build my layout - I was hoping to put it in the spare room but as that is my guest room as well looking at it in the flesh it's too small- so current thinking is a toss up between
a/ Building it on the back terrace along the wall as if it were a room rather than garden i.e. basboards mounted on the
walls or
b/ buy a shed and put it on my drive - but that'll be the more expensive option.
I've got these lovely Bulleids & M7's to run and a King Arthur on order plus the Maunsells - so decision time is just around the corner
Best regards
Tony

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Tony.

You have the AMAF (Asociacion Murciana de Amigos del Ferrocarril / Murcian Association of Railway Friends) in the Renfe station of Murcia. The address is:

http://www.amafdigital.org/
Plaza Industria, s/n
Estación Renfe
30002 Murcia

To buy material:

http://www.hobbymodelismo.es/tienda/index.php?cPath=1
Batalla de las flores, 3
30008 Murcia

I hope this information can help you.

Best regards from Spain,
Oscar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts