Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Very nice Swingcats, I guess by your familiarity with rock types and terminology that you have studied Geology. It's good to see that sort of knowledge being put into practice. I studied Geology too and try to make any landscapes as authentic as I can with that knowledge. Many people get rock, rocky outcrops and strata wildly wrong, (mainly through using commercial products for ease rather than modelling from pictures of the original landscape) but you have doen an excellent job. Very impressive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am a geologist, Very straight forward, build in normal way with a layer of plaster, coloured brick red, then PVA glue and a sprinkle of real very fine sandstone which I collected in Devon. This was broken down and using a metel working file to grind off grains. Peco ballast was added to form the larger limestone boulders in the brecca. More PVA added to cement the grains in natural mini landslips.

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 29 Feb 2008, 21:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK,as a geologist, you are invited to my place to advise on the building of some scenery.

I'll supply French wine and good food. You come with your modelling skills and geological knowledge

Where in France? I should be in Normandy in next few weeks? It's just about looking carefully at the real thing, observation is the key.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Swingcats,

Any chance of either attaching your pics to the thread or putting them somewhere else. Internet sites are monitored/censored here in Dubai and I am not able to access the particular web site your pics are on at present.

Regards,

Expat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts