Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Dear all,

i have a Modelrailway which is not finshed yet. I have quite a few Locos and Rolling stock.
iam not sure how much all this is worth. i have know decided that i want to get insurance for my Modelrailway.
i have look on the internet and the only thing it comes up for is Exibition layouts. Which i don't have. Mine is permo.
Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
61 Posts
Type "model railway insurance" into google, it will bring up a search with what you are looking for. Having not dealt with any of the companys that came up in that search i decided not to post any links nor do I endorse any of them. In short you'll need to check them out yourself. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I have between £8000 - £10000 worth of kit, including some of the collector sets I intend to peddle this year.
I've recently finished a studio which will house my railway. This is fully alarmed, is less than 5 paces from my back door, and as I operate from home normally there's someone around. The rear area of the house has four proximity lights, and the dog who like to bark at strangers sleeps in the conservatory.
When my house hold insurance came up for renewal, I informed the broker/company of the changes to the property, I found it impossible to obtain a quote, unless I was prepared to increase my premium by nearly 100%. So by being honest I got screwed by the insurance company. They were not even prepared to insure me if I accepted my own risk for the model railway stock.
Eventially I insured on the net, saved my self £100 and my longtime attitude to insurance companies has been confirmed - THEIR A BUNCH OF LOW LIFE DOGS.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Eventially I insured on the net, saved my self £100 and my longtime attitude to insurance companies has been confirmed - THEIR A BUNCH OF LOW LIFE DOGS.

Wow !!! I think your being quite curtious to them......

·
Registered
536 Posts
Neil
Assuming you have conventional house insurance?

Then the cheapest and quickest way of insuring your railway and the rolling stock is to get the existing insurer to add it all as an additional specified item. Much as you would if you owned an expensive piece of jewellery etc. You specify the value (add more than its worth to include any personal time factor)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I tried Model railway Insurance and while I was aware that they might turn me down due to not living in UK one of their ads had indicated that they could insure outside of UK.

Despite the fact that my railway room is linked to the house rapid response intruder alarm system has more than adequate locks on the door, plus a security grill plus the whole area being well lit at night. A roof that is pretty solid and not easy to remove without sledge hammers to get into, MRI were not interested.

My local insurance would not cover unless the railway was in the main house.

I share the view about Insurance companies being a big rip off, followed by Clearing and Forwarding agents and Banks in a close 3rd position (and I say that as a retired Banker!)

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Hello Peter are you back in zombia (sorry Zambia sight typo) hope you had a good trip. Insurnace companies
it can be highly satisfying when you get to really rip them off.
Once on the farm ( I used to grow Mushroom comerically) I had a troublesome laptop - one of the early ones that were quite expencive. I cured that by having one of our loader drivers park on it. I got a good claim in on that one. The insurance company parried by dropping all future claims on portable computers from our policy
Hows your Digitrax Zephr ? if its giving problems I have a solution - don't forget to up your insurance first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts