Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run Hornby Dublo 3 rail but supplement the HD engines with some "modern" (1970's) 3 rail conversions. These all work very well with few problems. Last year I bought 2 Bachmann MK1 coaches which also run well with no derailments and they also reverse OK into sidings. These were in addition to a couple of Dapol CCT wagons which I use as converters as they still have the original moulding for the peco coupling. All good so far. Then for Christmas I was given the new Hornby passenger guards van. Disaster as it de-rails on the points. Flanges too small? Not enough weight on the chassis?

Can it easily be re-wheeled? or if I could work out how to get the body off perhaps some added weight might help?

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think you're not too far wrong with the wheels. Are they derailing during facing moves or trailing moves? I suspect you're getting flange climb due to the newer rolling stock tend to have shallower wheel flanges..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome. The de-rails are mostly on trailing points but either seems to spell disaster. Replacing the wheels doesn't look easy as there are all sorts of wires just above the axles. Perhaps the best thing is to put in back in its box and exchange it for something else.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Try running the stock over the points as slowly as you can and look to see where they're coming off. Facing moves would typically be over the switch tips ot the crossing nose. Trailing moves tends to be over the wings or the checks...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your info. I will check in the morning as it is now past my running time. Old men who play with old trains tend to go to bed early! A modern Hornby running old Dublo 3 rail wheels would be a bit of a laugh, must be worth a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the delay in replying to my own topic but there was a domestic disaster today with next door's dog getting into our garden killing 2 of our free range chickens and badly injuring a third. Little time for model railways. But its dark now and I have modified the wheel internal spacing - a bit hit and miss but I now have completed at least three complete circuits. There is a lot of wobbling over the points but it does not de-rail. I think that a bit of weight in the wagon would help but have not found how to get the body off. Suggestions, please

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.