Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't see this question anywhere here so I'm gonna ask it in the hopes someone knows the answer.

I need the following colour light signals, whilst I know some places have some of them I would prefer to get all in one place to reduce postage.

1x 4 aspect with no.1 & no.4 indicators and a sub (APLS).
1x 4 aspect with no.1 indicator and a sub.
3x 4 aspect with a sub.
1x 4 aspect.
8x dummy (GPLS/RGPLS).

I am particularly stuck with the first one, although I could probably knock together the dummys from bits and bobs.

I would also prefer them to be DC but could live with DCC. Equally I suppose 3 aspects would do.

Can you interlock signals on DCC, so that the red automatically feeds the yellow (or double yellow) of the previous one?

I'm working on an electrical diagram for DC which hopefully should include the signals bothways across the junction but if there is an easier way.......

Fingers crossed.......

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 8 May 2008, 10:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....
1x 4 aspect with no.1 & no.4 indicators and a sub (APLS).
1x 4 aspect with no.1 indicator and a sub.
3x 4 aspect with a sub.
1x 4 aspect.
8x dummy (GPLS/RGPLS)........
By 'indicator' I assume you mean the 'feather' lights indicating a junction divergence ahead?
You can certainly get four aspect signals with either position 3 or 4 ready-made.
I have not seen any 'off the shelf' colour light signals with subsideries being sold.
GPLS are available, using under-baseboard works to illuminate via 'light-tube'.

Possible sources are:
Eckon/Berco made by CHH Models and distributed by Gaugemaster www.gaugemaster.com
Off-line, who market the former 'Patronics' range www.bigredmoon.co.uk
TrainTronics at Bournmouth Model Railway Centre (try www.slotrail.com or email [email protected])
this company are relative newcomers to the signalling scene. They do individual heads and gantries as well.

I can't answer your queries regarding DCC. For signalling circuits for DC, you could try:
"Model Railway Electronics" by Roger Amos (Patrick Stephens Ltd, 1990)
"Model Railway Signalling" by C J Freezer (also PSL, 1991)

The Model Electronic Railway Group (MERG) www.merg.info may also be of interest to you.

There is a substantial topic on GPLS elsewhere in the Signalling sub-forum with some photographs.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah....this brings me to something I forgot to mention.....Its for OO gauge rather than n.

Indicators does really refer to feathers, but equally theatres would be acceptable.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 8 May 2008, 12:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Indicators does really refer to feathers, but equally theatres would be acceptable.
There's no-one who currently makes 00/4mm theatre displays commercially. Again there is a large topic in this signalling sub-forum where the prospects of using fibre optics or a very small 5by7 dot matrix display have been chewed over in some detail. SeeTheatre Indicators

By the way, when you say 'position 1' do you mean the 45deg down to the left position or the 45deg up to the left position - these latter are as much available as the 'position 4' (Up 45 to the right) feathers are.

The Ground Signals topic is Ground Signals

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
536 Posts
Junction Indictors are numbered from top left (P1) down through the centre left (P2) then lower left (P3) then top right (P4) centre right (P5) lower right (P6). So those manufactured under the brand names of Eckon and Berko are either P1 or P4 J/Is
The J/I showing the route which is the lower speed line, often the straight ahead route (but not exclusively) where all routes are at the same line speed the J/Is shall be provided for both routes
R/Is (Theatres) are normally used on lower speed lines (but not exclusively)

For full UK details refer to the On-line Network Rail Rule book which shows the examples and supplies some basic diagrams of signalling used in the UK NR Rule Book Module S1

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 8 May 2008, 18:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Junction Indictors are numbered from top left (P1) down through the centre left (P2) then lower left (P3) then top right (P4) centre right (P5) lower right (P6). So those manufactured under the brand names of Eckon and Berko are either P1 or P4 J/Is.....

For full UK details refer to the On-line Network Rail Rule book....

Thanks for that reference, Brian. Reminded me I'd got a copy of the late 2002 version of the 'Personalised Rule Book No 3' where of course it gives the diagrams for the JIs which I'd forgotten when responding to hairyhandedfool's query.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blimey, I didn't realise the rule book was on the web, takes me back a few years.

Does all this basically mean I would have to bash a signal together to make my P1 & P4 signal? How easy would that be? I guess I would have to use an Eckon ENES9 (or 8) and an ENEA3/4

Now that it has been mentioned I can only think of theatres on slow speed lines so feathers would be more suitable anyway.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 9 May 2008, 10:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Does all this basically mean I would have to bash a signal together to make my P1 & P4 signal? How easy would that be? I guess I would have to use an Eckon ENES9 (or 8) and an ENEA3/4....
Probably! I'm not familiar enough with the Eckon range to be certain, however.

I got a Eckon three-aspect signal kit last year; the head depth was a bit over-scale, but the latest adverts say the current models have been modified to have scale heads.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have a look at our website (below in my sig) for some advice on modern signal construction, including multiple feathers (and call-ons) with the correct single pivot light - an article on them appeared in MRJ 171 which you should be able to get via their back number service.

Here's a shot of the cover, bit small but should give you the idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Widnes vine yard is a great layout which has made me make my own signals,but i haven't got all the bits fo it yet, for lenses im cutting the tops off clear LED covers with rings in them to make them even more realistic.

Richard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts