Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i have had my mamod SW1 lorry for ages and love her dearly. I have been tempted by a Mamod steam train set for ages now, What is the best gauge to get one in? also i was looking for a small garden railway setout, is G or gauge one best for this?

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Most G-scale uses 45mm track (narrow gauge) and gauge 1 uses 45mm as well but is standard gauge, so the choice between G-scale and gauge 1 is whether you want big narrow gauge models or smaller standard gauge.

I have a 45mm gauge Mamod loco and it looks about 3' gauge, so I guess the choice when buying Mamod is do you want 3' gauge or the 2' gauge that the 32mm versions would give you.

· Registered
541 Posts
The most popular gauge is O gauge (not scale of course!), so if you are ever interested in running on other peoples tracks or having visitors - quite common in garden railway circles - this would be the best one to choose. Mamod also make their track in this gauge albeit crude with tight radius. You would also have a better choice of second hand stock to increase your collection if you so wish.

· Registered
140 Posts
The difference between Mamods in O and 1 Gauge is the amount of packing underneath the cylinders and the spacing of the wheels, so if you get a 45mm version you could convert it to 32mm. People who model 32mm track are perhaps narrow gauge enthusiasts building to 16mm scale though of course there are standard gauge models available from the likes of Basset Lowke. That is my impresion of the scene.
I am tempted very mildly here in NZ where the 9mm guys and gals use 32mm track to represent our 3"6" railway ... but they are rivet counting fime scale which is not me
So I am into 45mm gauge where as far as I can tell most people are with their garden railways ... 45mm track also works well when one represents 3'6' stock in 1:24 scale if you scratchbuild, perhaps adding your body to reliable LGB motive power.
http://jcuknz-photos.com/LOOKSEE/JohnRappardsFenceLine.jpg
The late John Rappard's fence line with his LGB based models ... it had to be on the fence line to protect it from his wife's sheep ... he then went on to build a large dual gauge 5"/7.5" track around his property ... The Signal Hill Railway
http://www.sandman.org.nz/GardenWhistle/GW...stleAug2007.pdf see Obituary at end of magazine. The diesel loco was 5" gauge not 7.5 which is why he had to build a dual gauge track.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that! i really enjoyed that magazine (if im mistaken dont be offended)

I love the bigger scales, indeed i own a 7.1/4 inch gauge tram, loosely based on a Y6 (if i got that wrong, LNER nuts, please dont kill me!!!) tram of the LNER but my main layout(s) are in OO, im just debating which to go with 32 or 45MM possibly live steam, as i really do enjoy working on steamers, and it would be nice to weather something a little bigger than )) for a change!

· Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Actually, here in the UK the number of G scale 45mm gauge lines has been steadily increasing over the years and is approaching parity with the O gauge 32mm brigade so don't let that influence your decision. There are various types of track available in both gauges, perhaps rather more choice in G scale 45mm gauge. The secret is to go for the largest radii curves you can fit, there is nothing worse than setting your heart on a loco only to discover that it will only negotiate 4' radius curves when your line is restricted to 3' radius!

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will keep all that in mind, and THANK YOU all for the advice, im thimking of a 45MM G gauge Layout running around my caravan, live steam, just because! Also the 45mm track will allow me to run Gauge 1 loco's (another love of mine!) im going to be a busy boy for the next few decades LOL

· Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (sean hpw @ 14 Dec 2012, 10:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I will keep all that in mind, and THANK YOU all for the advice, im thimking of a 45MM G gauge Layout running around my caravan, live steam, just because! Also the 45mm track will allow me to run Gauge 1 loco's (another love of mine!) im going to be a busy boy for the next few decades LOL
If your interesed I have some G1 track. Its just a loop, but its what I ran my gauge 1 mamod on. PM me if your interested, can do it for £30?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.