Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I'm currently doing Olton Hall for my layout, the stumbling block this time is what colour is Olton Hall? (Wait for the smart Alec who says red)
I had originally intended to colour match the Hornby Hogwarts Castle tender and to this end asked Hornby what colour it was and could I have some. They replied that I should try Pheonix as they were unable to help with any paint. Pheonix told me they have nothing in their range that would match and didn't know what colour Hornby had painted it. So now I'm left with making my own transfers for the crests and painting the whole thing.
I tried Google to find a website for Olton Hall with no luck, lots with pictures but none by the owners, so I was wondering if anybody here has any idea what colour they used or how I could get in touch with them to ask them myself.

Thanks, as always.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Near as I can tell it's BR Maroon though why you would want to desecrate the loco with that colour is beyond me. After all it is only a fiction.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 20 Apr 2007, 05:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi guys! I'm currently doing Olton Hall for my layout, the stumbling block this time is what colour is Olton Hall? (Wait for the smart Alec who says red)
I had originally intended to colour match the Hornby Hogwarts Castle tender and to this end asked Hornby what colour it was and could I have some. They replied that I should try Pheonix as they were unable to help with any paint. Pheonix told me they have nothing in their range that would match and didn't know what colour Hornby had painted it. So now I'm left with making my own transfers for the crests and painting the whole thing.
I tried Google to find a website for Olton Hall with no luck, lots with pictures but none by the owners, so I was wondering if anybody here has any idea what colour they used or how I could get in touch with them to ask them myself.

Thanks, as always.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 19 Apr 2007, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Near as I can tell it's BR Maroon though why you would want to desecrate the loco with that colour is beyond me. After all it is only a fiction.

Ozzie21

Firstly thanks again for the help guys

Secondly, Whilst the livery she's painted in today is a work of fiction if you see her today that's the colour she is.
I have a thing for things that are wrong to many people, including 35005 in BR blue, 34081 in malachite green (she never ran in the condition she is today painted that colour) 46244 also in BR blue and 3817 in GWR black. But, I also have alot of locos in the correct colours and am just waiting on the nameplates to finish County of Warwick in GW green and to set Ozzies mind at ease I have a modified Hall in BR green with a choice of early or late crested tenders, so I already have a green one

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 20 Apr 2007, 04:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Firstly thanks again for the help guys

Secondly, Whilst the livery she's painted in today is a work of fiction if you see her today that's the colour she is.
I have a thing for things that are wrong to many people, including 35005 in BR blue, 34081 in malachite green (she never ran in the condition she is today painted that colour) 46244 also in BR blue and 3817 in GWR black. But, I also have alot of locos in the correct colours and am just waiting on the nameplates to finish County of Warwick in GW green and to set Ozzies mind at ease I have a modified Hall in BR green with a choice of early or late crested tenders, so I already have a green one

You could tru to find the Bachmann "Hogwarts Castle" model as sold in North America. This is the Bachmann modified Hall in the correct livery.

Adrian

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
There are some colour pics in the book Made in Crewe, which was released by Smiths at the end of last year, I think one of them was credited to the owners.

Any help?

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Adrian @ 20 Apr 2007, 13:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You could tru to find the Bachmann "Hogwarts Castle" model as sold in North America. This is the Bachmann modified Hall in the correct livery.

Adrian

Thanks again Guys.
I did think about the Bachmann version but two things put me off, firstly the size off the crest on the tender is way too big, must be so the yanks don't have to strain themselves trying to read the writing and secondly, I wasn't happy with the Hornby version being the wrong class of loco and although the Bachmann one is nearer it's still wrong.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well it's all a fun hobby and we all have our quirks. I know a guy up north that paints modern US diesels in paint schemes they never carried. Makes a killing flogging them off on ebay. Sorry my post came out as a criticism. My only excuse was that I was having a mongrel of a day.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 20 Apr 2007, 18:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Firstly thanks again for the help guys

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
the paint used on the real Alton hall for filming was EWS maroon (the exact same paint that they put on the diesels.) what hornby used i have no idea.

I have to add that the paintwork on the loco was really first class. at York it was imacculate.

Their was a bullied loco that was also painted in EWS maroon and named hogwarts castle. i thought it looked really stupid but there we go...

I will post a couple of pictures tomorrow.

Peter

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 23 Apr 2007, 05:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Their was a bullied loco that was also painted in EWS maroon and named hogwarts castle. i thought it looked really stupid but there we go...

I will post a couple of pictures tomorrow.

Peter

Guess what? I'm hoping that Hornby do their excelent new rebuilt light pacific as Taw Valley when she was painted up as "Hogwarts Castle" She came through Melton some ???? years ago carring Santas Express name plates with only her support coach looking very smart and if they screw the colour up again, well that's just another loco that's going to have to visit the "shop"

And Ozzie, I didn't take your comments s a critisism, just as a sign of how diverse this great hobby of ours is. It would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 22 Apr 2007, 10:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well it's all a fun hobby and we all have our quirks. I know a guy up north that paints modern US diesels in paint schemes they never carried. Makes a killing flogging them off on ebay. Sorry my post came out as a criticism. My only excuse was that I was having a mongrel of a day.

Ozzie21

Regarding strange paint schemes there used to be a guy in the Kent area who bought brand new Fleischmann loco's & repainted the bodies blue. They were worth buying for spares as he did leave the chassis alone ! Not seen any for a while though !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 24 Apr 2007, 08:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Regarding strange paint schemes there used to be a guy in the Kent area who bought brand new Fleischmann loco's & repainted the bodies blue. They were worth buying for spares as he did leave the chassis alone ! Not seen any for a while though !

Don't know if it was the same guy, but when I was modelling N gauge in the 70's a local modeller painted everything into Caledonian livery - even diesels. They were normally sold at rock bottom prices.

Regards

John

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Nice picture Peter. They certainly went to a lot of trouble painting this loco . Hard to say what colour it is almost looks like a midland red with a bit of orange in it.

ozzie21

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 13 Jun 2007, 14:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry for the severe delay but i have only just found the disc with all my railfest pictures on.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Well it looks like EWS maroon to me, I actually think the livery quite suits it. (head below parapet for when GW fans read that!)

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the further help guys.
A few years back my bro (bro sewell of this very board) painted a Hornby Duchess in BR maroon livery, now at the time we were short on info about colours and the only pictures we had showed it was a different colour to LMS Crimson Lake, so in our collective ignorence we went for Railmatch GWR Indian red as a suitable substitute, this loco has now been painted again and is now BR Green, however the tender body still survives in red.
Having surfed the net looking for a site run by or for the owners of Olton Hall I've come across loads of pictures of the loco in question and the colour in the pictures looks as near as makes no difference to me the same colour as the afore mentioned Duchess tender top. so thats the way I've gone, the loco is just about finished I've just got to get around to getting a friend to produce the tender crests for me then fit them and give her a coat of satin varnish, stand back and await the wrath of the GWR fanatics.
As soon as payday comes round again I'll join the ranks of the Plus membership and set up a gallery to let you all have a look at the results.
On another note I'm a fair way through construction a Mailcoach Coronation set with some interesting modifications!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts