Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having fitted a few loksound decoders into my favourite locos I note the top speed is not "as it was".
I have checked CV 5 and it is set at maximum 64. I seem to remember a posting that states DCC out put to the motor is reliably set at 12 volt whereas the standard analogue controllers can push out up to 16 volt thus improving the top speed.
Is there any CV setting that can be increased to push up the output voltage to the loco motor to say 14-16 volt so I can get a little more top speed out of the locos.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Actually the decoder output is pretty well proportional to the track voltage under DCC.

Depending on the brand of DCC you are running, a controller with adjustable track voltage / voltage regulation can increase this.

If you have a unit that has an unregulated output, you can also use a slightly higher voltage power supply to the DCC system....

What are you using for your DCC system?

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** No, it doesn't - I just scanned the manual.

I note it claims 14.75 volts at the track. This should in fact give you the top speed - it is on spec. The reality may however be lower.... especially if you have not used heavy bus wire and frequent droppers....

You cannot read track power witha normal meter as its a high frequency square wave... The only way you have to hand is to connect a decoder, set a multimeter to DC , turn on the lights function and read the voltage between the positive blue wire and the negative white wire.

If you can do this, read it with the loco at / decoder connected close to the controller and again at the far side of the layout.

You could try connecting a laptop computer power supply instead of the power supply that comes with it - I suspect it is an unregualted unit, and this will give you slightly higher track voltage.

Having said all that, how much slower is it in reality? Most locos are way to fast on DC anyway....

regards

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts