Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here up for a game?

I shall start the ball rolling with a classic opening gambit.

Green Park.

Who amongst you is man (or woman) enough to take me on?

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Taking second position I will have to follow your Green Park Opener with Ralmachis famous 1964 feint and name my first reply with the rarely used EALING BROADWAY. That should make your next move a very difficult decision.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cunning.

Not a newcomer I see.

Let's see how you deal with the famous second round move by Leistov at the 1974 Stockholm Conference.

Mansion House.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
As you have played Mansion House, on circle and district - I will use the "Right of Passage" (Hamble 1988) to Invoke the Disused Stations rule and play Aldwich. This will of course leave you stranded on the Metropolitan and subsequently you will have to play "The Watford Switchback" and end up at Chalfont and Latimer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 30 Dec 2007, 02:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As you have played Mansion House, on circle and district - I will use the "Right of Passage" (Hamble 1988) to Invoke the Disused Stations rule and play Aldwich. This will of course leave you stranded on the Metropolitan and subsequently you will have to play "The Watford Switchback" and end up at Chalfont and Latimer.

Not bad. Not bad at all. You forgot one thing though. A move utilising the Disused Stations rule which since you played Aldwych results in a Watford Switchback allows me to play my Oyster Card. Players familiar with recent Mornington Crescent Governing Body rule changes will have already realised this means I can now answer with admittedly controversial preservation gambit.

Ongar.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Aha - well that means i can play the overland rules and jump immediatly to Kings cross. This allows me to play 4 way play and make a second move for which i choose Caladonian Road allowing me to force you to play under 1996 Disabled Access rules.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE This will of course leave you stranded on the Metropolitan and subsequently you will have to play "The Watford Switchback" and end up at Chalfont and Latimer.
There are ways out - my favourite, without losing a clockwise zone, is if you you screw back to Aldgate and use a slow ventral hop (S. Q. Bartfast 1985 I think it was) to

Swiss Cottage

so the same place in the end but in a stronger position I feel. Anyway from Swiss Cottage under 1996 Disabled Access rules the Finchley-Baker-Paddington Sidewinder counts for triple if the zone is frozen (I. Marcos vs. International Mornington Crescent Society 1977) so that leaves you free to square the circle to

Bayswater

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (Thunder @ 30 Dec 2007, 08:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think i must be on another planet, god knows what your talking about, the trains stopped running here years ago ???

Possibly a different dimension as well?????????

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent! I'm not normally one to gloat, but your Russell Square gives me the opportunity to bring into play Borisovs brilliant 1956 Kamchatkan regional championship tournament Piccadilly Diversion and leave the next player stranded at

Upminster.

Just the one way out from here now. Play carefully:)

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Hang on though - Upminster cannot be because of the 1975 Lutterworth - Bornhold Deep excavation clause meaning that you will have to use the Kennington Bypass ( holmes and bysterwald - 1954 . Cannington Rules ) this means that you will have to take your next move from the oval.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is true. But under stovold's 2nd amendment to the standard convention (1972), the rules clearly state that if a player is nudged back to any station outside zone 1, he or she is allowed an extra connection in any direction he or she should choose. This, of course, predates the Jubilee Line extensions in both directions.
That being the case I will say

Maida Vale.

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
From a spectator's point of view, I have to say that I think this is shaping up to be quite a contest

David

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 30 Dec 2007, 13:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From a spectator's point of view, I have to say that I think this is shaping up to be quite a contest

David

Why be a spectator? The board is open and all mainline stations are wild. Feel free to join in. We are using a simplified version
where Stovold's Defence is still allowable during Forward Triangulation, but Back Doubling may only be attempted after a Northern Approach.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ah i got the hang of this now.... you have to be fluant in total bol..... i mean double dutch, have a complete understanding of total nonsence, and of course know your railway stations, so that blows me out, as i live on the planet uranus.

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
QUOTE Ah i got the hang of this now.... y

Indeed you have.

Despite the kind invitation to join in, and experience in a number of foreign languages, this is one instance where my eloquence is way below the level being exhibited in the current round. I am also unsure whether the Bourne Escalator maneouvre has been incorporated into the most recent rule set approved by the NMRA - that's the National Mornington Rules Association. Any attempt to play this gambit may start a flame war, so I shall continue to rest in my armchair on the sidelines.

David

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.