Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Any idea's for a Motor/Gearbox combination to fit a K's Kit Pannier Tank 57XX, for slow running, also where I can purchase said item and get it sent out to me here in Macau, China.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dick

·
In depth idiot
7,675 Posts
Dick,

Several options from companies offering gearbox kits and motor combinations like Comet, Highlevel, Branchlines.

I have used the last of these for a number of builds with great satisfaction on every occasion. http://branchlines.blogspot.com/ (Doubtless others will have their favorites and can decribe combinations that they would think of for this kind of build.)

For a nice roomy 0-6-0 like the 57xx my preference would be for their multibox which should give more than enough flexibility in positioning for the mechanism to be completely out of sight, and a good sized motor like a Mashima 1628 with a flywheel. If the 57XX is to be a 'road' engine I would use a 40:1 reduction. That will give good slow speed control, and a top speed scaling somewhere between 50 and 70mph (depends on the maximum rpm of the specific motor chosen.) If you want really smooth low speed control you might go up to 60 or 80:1. Demands a bit more care in building the gearbox, and significantly limits top speed. ( Some people really like the slow speed smoothness thus obtained, but I do wonder if they ever watched the brutal way in which steam shunters were often handled. It was nothing unusual to see wheels locked as the loco slid to a halt, followed by a very brisk reverse in direction...)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 34C,

Thanks very much, lots to think of there, maybe I will go for 50:1 the best of both worlds ??

Will make a start by looking at your suggested links.

Dick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi 34C,

I have decided to go with Branchlines, talked to Brian who knew exactly what I needed and gave me choises and lists etc.

Once again thanks very much.

Dick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts