Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE I thought so too. But I transferred one of them to another loco and the motor runs poorly and only in one direction, so I guess part of the H-bridge has gone and it is now an expensive lighting decoder...

I've got an MX620 like that. I don't think they've got the same protection as the MX63 so unless I'm really pushed for space, I've decided to stay away from them.

David

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE Interesting. I thought about the MX63 but concluded it was slightly too big for Farish diesels.
I'm OO, so even with small UK sized boilers I can generally manage.

QUOTE they'll be leapfrogged within 24 months. Especially railcom.
ooh! I hope that Zimo keep up and make new software available for their decoders. I wouldn't like to have to re-equip in 2 years time.

David

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE ***No, you won't - the whole point of new developments currently mooted is that they won't be "One special feature dependent" "One bus dependent" and "one brand of decoder" dependent.

I hark back to a comment I made in an earlier thread - features that don't require track gaps and diode drops are the future - the direction the last so called "new wonders" such as assymetric braking and railcom are taking things is actually back to the bad old days of DC with lots of sections, lots of added cost and special wiring.

So long as "old" kit can be upgraded, I'll be happy.

I don't like having extra track gaps and diode drops either but that's all that's "visible" to me as a punter, so if it can deliver something I can use now then I'll go for it. Since I have a separate power bus and build my own "diode drop" modules, the cost of changing will be small for me. I do not intend to go as far as the Lenz BM2, BM3 type of solution.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.