Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 13 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Motorail vehicles were also used on the Royal Highlander, Euston - Inverness, and on what I think was called the Highland Chieftan from Edinburgh to Euston.

I had my car of each of those services in about 1986 ?

Covered wagons/coaches, you left your car in a dock at Euston for it to be loaded and then shunted onto the train, back or front from Euston I am not sure, but probably the front as that part went to Inverness, the rear portion to Fort William ? At Edinburgh the Motorail vehicles were on the rear and shunted into the unloading dock on arrival in Euston.

It cost £25 each way, and when we went I was on a staff pass so went for free and they were doing 2 for 1 on the sleepers, another £25 for three of us. What value.

· Registered
196 Posts
Carflats were used on the Western for Motorail at the start, but as the cars were in the elements they suffered all sorts of damage, windows smashed, bonnets and boots blown open, and lineside vandalism. A bit of a disaster.

The same sort of wagons that were used on the Morris Cowley - Bathgate car trains which suffered the same sort of fate, and subject to pilfering when held in loops and sidings en route.

1 - 2 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.