Model Railway Forum banner

Mr Muscle does the job.

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  7113 
#1 ·
I have a Lima box van, but sometime during its life it had been very crudely hand painted.
I found it in a load of junk going to the local tip. It was minus its bogies and obviously seen better days.
Anyway I put it in my work bag and took it home.
Anyway I had heard of a way to remove the paint so I tried it, I got a deep"ish" pan out of my shed, it was only a small one, but big enough to take the vehicle, and then I sprayed into the pan all over the van some oven cleaner, I left it for about six hours and when I checked it I was truly amazed, it had removed all the rough hand paint but not the factory paint or livery, that was perfect, it is a cream coloured van with cocacola and a bottle on it.
Brilliant.
But with me being new to the hobby you all probably know about doing this anyway, but I was so pleased it worked.
Sorry to be a bore.

#4 ·
I have an old Triang Southern Utility Van that I bought at a swap meet for repainting/detailing. Unfortunately, the previous owner has painted it with a rather thick enamel that has defied all my attempts to remove it - a month soaking in brake fluid did absolutely nothing! The upshot: I must give your tip a good try. Thanks for that.

#5 ·
QUOTE (SRman @ 23 Apr 2008, 08:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>a month soaking in brake fluid did absolutely nothing! The upshot: I must give your tip a good try.

That sounds like modern synthetic stuff - the older "real Mccoy" shifts most things.

Mind you I will have to rememner the Mr Muscle tip.

Regards

#6 ·
Yep
Discovered it some time ago when I couldn't find any of that Ronstrip powder that I used to mix into the consistancy of custard. Apparently it's widely used by the Model Motor Racing fraternity for use on their one-piece body-shells. I tried it sprayed onto a scrap wagon body in a sealed box and left it overnight. Took off all the 20+ year old factory paint but never touched the plastic, and it's easily available.
Steve

#8 ·
Well I gave it quite a thorough testing!

I had an old loco I had used for testing paint mixes and it was a bit of a mess.

First of all I used some oh a more expensive brand of oven cleaner, which used a sort of.....goo to clean, rather than the foam of Mr Muscle. I left the loco in that for 6 hours and it did a pretty good job, all the thin single coat stuff came off under a tap.

However the thicker stuff still hadn't budged. So I went and bought some Mr Muscle today, put the loco in my little tin, filled it with the stuff and left it for another 6 hours. washed it off and et voila! all the hand painted and airbrushed stuff was gone! one entirely clean, originally painted loco!

I took pics and as soon as I find the lead I will put them up!

Thanks once more for the tip.

Alex

#9 ·
QUOTE (Avionyx @ 30 Apr 2008, 22:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I took pics and as soon as I find the lead I will put them up!

It will be interesting to see the results

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.