Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
MRC Prodigy Wireless
Model Rectifier Corporation of Edison, NJ has released the Prodigy Advance Wireless.

A complete, handheld control system for model railroading that does everything that MRC's Prodigy Advance2 can do... and more... and does it wirelessly.

Prodigy Advance Wireless lets the hobbyist program, acquire and run all the locomotives and accessories without the chore of plugging in &
unplugging. Whenever a locomotive needs to be programmed, the "Program CV on the Main" button lets you change locomotive characteristics on-the-fly. This
lets the model railroader spend less time on a programming track, and more time operating the railroad. With its built-in capability of delivering all
28 NMRA functions, and upgradeable to 100 functions, Prodigy Advance Wireless effortlessly delivers the total control and full mobility and
benefits that only MRC's complete, full function, duplex radio control system can deliver. Prodigy Advance Wireless is available as a stand-alone
wireless system for new DCC customers, or as an add-on conversion set enabling Prodigy Express, Prodigy Advance & Prodigy Advance2 owners to go
wireless.

Total control & complete programming means just that...
  • Program, acquire and run your locos & accessories from a wireless
    handheld, just like wired
  • No need to plug & unplug every time you want to program a loco
  • Easy to use & program; no special receivers to install inside locos
  • Wireless & wired Prodigy Advance throttles can be used simultaneously,
    side-by-side
  • Plug into system console to recharge... continue complete control even
    while charging
  • Rechargeable battery & built in charger included
  • Built-in voltage display to monitor battery voltage
  • Exceptional operating range... you won't lose control
Prodigy Advance Wireless (Complete Set) - 0001410 - $599.98 (MSRP)

Prodigy Advance Wireless Walkaround - 0001411 - $189.98 (MSRP)

Prodigy Wireless Conversion Set - 0001412 - $289.98 (MSRP)

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>only MRC's complete, full function, duplex radio control system
I guess the obvious question here is - "Is it legal to use this in Europe?". The license free bands in the US and Europe do not overlap as far as I know.

Apart from that, it looks like a great piece of kit.

David

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah looks like $1100 about £600 therefore it is not cheap. I would be a bit cautious about 'Makes all other systems obsolete' For the price it is well spec'd however there is a lot of gimickry that you do not need and lets face it the Elite or the Dynamis will do the job just as well for a whole lot cheaper. Sorry but I am not convinced everyone is going to run out and buy this at that price, and what about the situation that could come about when several of these are being used at an exhibiton and there is a lot of interference etc. Wirless control is great but it is not the be all. As for making evrything else obsolete, I thought DCC was going to do that to DC but you will still find plenty of DC users. This piece of kit is to be applauded but it is not going to change the world

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

This looks very similar to the Zimo MX31FU. Zimo have a European version out already, but not North American, due to the different wavebands available in these different areas. It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison from someone who has used both.

Here is another description of the MX31FU from DCC Supplies. The full system is about 300 GBP, which is about the same price as the Prodigy ($600), but I think you need a transformer and command station from Zimo to make the cab work, so then it gets to be a lot more.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just for info, the latest MRC adverts in Model Railroader are indicating that a PC interface is on its way. No details or pricing yet though.

The current lack of a PC interface has been the main thing that has put me off considering the MRC Prodigy system, so this would be a welcome development. Much more significant than a R/C option IMHO.

It also seems quite a lot of dollars just for having R/C?

AshleyH

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
ESU have had a wireless hand held controller for some time and a lot of money ~£170 IIRC. It's an X-Bus device and according to the ESU german website will work with Lenz digital plus, Roco LokMaus II / R3, Maerklin 6021, Atlas Commander, Uhlenbrock Intellibox and ECoS (requires an adaptor).

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts