Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum and just rediscovering model railways after an absense of about 25 years.

I'm intending to build a layout in N and so I'm facing the usual quandry of getting my locos chipped, because I am convinced DCC is the way to go, but can anyone recommend a control system to start with?

Gaugemaster has been recommended to me and as I'm going to have a fair amount of space to build a big layout (and at least three children, two grandparents, two brothers and sundry hangers on to keep happy), I do like the prospect of adding extra controllers that easily. I've noticed that the original MRC Prodigy is available on ebay directly from the States at less than half the price of the identical Gaugemaster product, the US transformer will handle 240V, so I'm tempted to get one.

Would people generally recommend the Prodigy and has anyone purchased one from across the pond? If so any problems?

I'd appreciate peoples thoughts.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim, I did mean the prodigy advance, as it's the same model that Gaugemaster markets in the uk, though after a bit of research it appears that MRC have discontinued it and are going wireless. I'm still tempted to go for it though as it s 100% compatible with the gaugemaster version and I can get base unit plus an extra walkaround controller, have it shipped from USA and still save about £40 on the basic Gaugemaster price.

Chris

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've not committed to anything yet, so open to ideas. I think I'll get some track layed first, you never know the UK prices might have fallen a bit by the time I'm ready to subject my wallet to a shock requiring recuperation!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.