Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Just a few facts ;

The only exact common item between the Gaugemaster & MRC versions is the handheld - the amplifier may look the same but they are technically different inside. The output of the power supply is DC on one & AC on the other.

The Gaugemwaster version is availble for £180.00 leaving a "saving" of only £40.00

If you import from the US you have to hope that HMR & C don't collar you for import tax & VAT, then Snail Mail want a chunk of your "saving" for the paperwork.

Then, if you get the US supplier to say it's a "gift" & it goes missing you could have a problem with insurance if it's not been declared correctly.

& is upgrading the software such an issue ? - I personally know many DCC users & to date (& they probably use between them most makes of DCC) & not one of them has "upgraded" the software, although one or two have traded up hardware wise.

Import by all means, but be aware of the possible problems.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
So, whats the problem with paying for an upgrade then ?

After all, if you upgrade your computer software you have to pay (either directly or as part of a support agreement), likewise for you mobile phone, T.V, sat-nav..................

So why would DCC be any different ?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Brucelr @ 27 Feb 2007, 04:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I though DCC had 'standards' Anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a 'fix'?
Bruce.

DCC certainly has standards - the problem is not everyone follows them.

Other people have had similar problems especially with the Prodigy & Hornbt decoders (see earlier DCC threads, but make sure you wear protective clothing - it got quite heated on the subject of Hornby DCC !).

For the time being my advice would be to abandon the Hornby decoders.

I won't comment on Hornby's reply to your query.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.