Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 15 Feb 2007, 16:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As far as I know none

I think somehow this thread has become slanted towards upgrades???
Not sure why as I guess most sytems that are produced for more than three or so years will at some point need an upgrade if you want to operate the latest 'zimo' offered etc.

The thread got slanted towards upgrade, because I mistakenly pointed that a prospective buyer needed to be aware that the base station had to be sent back to the States and that it could be a problem if you didn't have a spare DCC system hanging around to keep you going until it returned
QUOTE (Brian @ 15 Feb 2007, 14:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David
I can understand the need to upgrade if your locos are equiped with the sound decoders effected.

The cost of post to US is the senders responsibility.
Even if GM do manage offer the up grade eventually, I bet they will make a charge for carring it out and you would still have to pay postage to send the base station to them.
MRC are charging for the upgrade so I really cant see GM offering it for free!

Besides the upgrade issue (Which won't worry me as I dont want my locos making sounds) I have found the PA to be a very good system.
I agree that if GM were able to do the upgrade I'd have to pay, but at least I wouldn't be without my system for as long as I would be if had to send it back to the US which was the whole crux of the matter!.
Actually thinking about it MRC have made my system obsolete now with the introduction of their PA squared which does everything I've railed against in the past. So now the choice boils down to upgrade or renew or wait and see the pitfalls of the new Dynamis.
Ho hum! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a MRC Prodigy Advance system together with 'booster' unit. Working well with all of my exising decoders, Bachmann, Lenz and others of unknown make. However I purchased some Hornby decoders when thay became available on the market, impressed by their size and reasonable price for a 4- function unit. Problem is they don't work with the MRC. Contacted Hornby who tell me that they are working on fixes as they become aware. They pointed out that as I had fitted the decoder to a Bachmann loco, using a MRC controller, they couldn't guarantee the decoders to work! I though DCC had 'standards' Anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a 'fix'?
Bruce.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Brucelr @ 27 Feb 2007, 04:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I though DCC had 'standards' Anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a 'fix'?
Bruce.

DCC certainly has standards - the problem is not everyone follows them.

Other people have had similar problems especially with the Prodigy & Hornbt decoders (see earlier DCC threads, but make sure you wear protective clothing - it got quite heated on the subject of Hornby DCC !).

For the time being my advice would be to abandon the Hornby decoders.

I won't comment on Hornby's reply to your query.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The problem with Hornby decoders and Gaugemaster seems to be programming the things - appranetly they will run but only on default settings.

What Hornby mean by "fixes" is presumably the instructions on how to program they have put on their website to cover the Lenz Set 100 and Lenz Compact

21 - 25 of 25 Posts