Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is mainly about the car system. It was at the forefront of the Faller stand and it seems that finally Faller have got it working well and down to a price that most modellers can afford. I for one am looking at it closely and figuring out how to convert some of the German vehicles to Era III British so that they can be used on my layout.

Fist off a few videos. You have seen one before, but I repost it here so they are all together.

Here we see the camp site with a camper going around the block. Notice how it can be programmed to stop at the right places.

Here a van is being serviced at the new car dealership and garage. The Car Center has a working vehicle lift, a revolving display stand and interior lighting.

A bus makes it's rounds stopping to pick up passengers at the bus stops around the layout.

The car system can be added to any existing layout. Basically, the vehicle follows a wire laid down under the road surface. This is added by cutting a groove in the baseboard. There is even an electrical rotary cutter available to help you do this. The wire is then laid where you want the car, truck or bus to go. The road surface is then laid. The cars are charged up, programmed and then they are off. The cars steer by having a small magnet attached to the front axle that follows the wire. Tiny motors propel the cars and they runn off small rechargeable button batteries. The Car System adds dynamism and interest to the layout. Start sets are available from about 50 Euros.

The Car System can be used with roll-on roll off car and truck carrying railway wagons too.

162044 The Carl Balke furniture removal van that comes with a trailer MRRP: €99.00

162031 Bus

The stand opperators were trying to get some electronics installed whilst this loco tried it's hardest to drive into the loco-shed. The cantenery system make access slightly more tricky.

See if you notice the fine line under the road surface. It may just be a slight scuff mark made by the contact of the magnet with the road surface.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Nice photos Doug,

I remember from my past visits to Nurnburg that the Faller stand is always very entertaining, with plenty of light and movement on the displays. The road system is a wonderful addition to the scenery of any layout and certainly amazes children of all ages who see it at an exhibition.

As an aside the coach start set chassis can be used to power EFE and Corgi 1/76 buses, it seems to have no problem with the additional weight.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Stuff the railway! it's time to build an HO continental road layout

Just kidding.

Doug, I am really enjoying reading your reports. Thank you so much for taking the time to make them available.

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have just checked out the engine sheds website, the cheapest start set with rechargable batteries comes out at £55.50, although I know you can get them cheaper than this elsewhere.

Regards

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts