Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up EVERYONE I discovered to my horror that MSL have changed couriers to Fed Ex. They are charging Duty , Vat, and fee of min 2% before delivery.
There is No Duty on Model Trains from Europe according to HMRC Documents codes. The bill I am being asked to be paid is £ 33. 50 on top of VAT of £177.00 plus Fee of £12:50 . Before Delivery. Now hear is the sting, I have dealt with this company before and they will charge but not provide the paperwork to get the refund from HMRC. Great Cash flow. Not Unlike Royal mail who do provide a sticky label with all the costs and details on.
I have informed MSL if they continue using FED EX I will not purchase anymore.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nigel 2001 99% of the Items i buy are made in the EU if you look in the HMRC Website and look up the Comodity codes Model Trains Toys there is no Duty Full stop So if you have superior Knowledge of what every part of the models I buy then I would suggest you get the info and print it on here. So we can all see for the benefit of everyone. I f you do not like my Heads up or what I have written I will not give any more heads up for the benefit for all I have been importing model trains before going into EU, while we were in the EU and now we have left the EU. And the Codes have not Changed.. Ps I have never paid Duty on Models from EU ever..
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Font Material property Screenshot Rectangle Parallel
Good Morning Everyone. Please have a look at this very useful website which you can use for free and it is very accurate.
( Simplyduty.com ) even if you only put model Trains in the box instead of the commodity code It will Accurately work out the Figures. All the Goods I have just Purchased all the goods are made in the in Germany/ EU. Here is the codes for calculating. I bid you goodnight Fellow MOBA friends.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Adrian I agree with you MSL should have given me notice of a change and if I did not like the courier I would have organised my own with a pick up from MSL.
Regarding the ( Duty ) aspect it is Fed Ex that is wrong. Half the time the Documents in the pocket with the correct code on are never touched. If Fed Ex do not give me the Customs charge paperwork so I can claim back the Duty from Customs very simple form and straight forward.
But having used them before in my business and what C--ck Up it was. Unreall look up Trust Pilot Reviews Fed Ex UK and you will see what I mean.
A leapord never changes it's spots.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simon Can I ask you was your order delivered as per the Tracking or did it arrive late. As my Tracking has not moved since last Friday and yet it is supposed to be delivered by 10pm today. In regard the duty my order is all made in the EU. So no Duty should be charged full stop.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Simon Thank you for your reply. My parcel has still not arrived.Also I have had a very Nice letter/ Email from the Managing Director of MSL who really wants to keep my business.
He even agrees after looking at my order there is no Duty to be paid. I cannot print what I think is going on at Fed Ex.
Because if this goes Sour I will be involving the Police.
I will keep everyone posted.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Good Afternoon Everyone Just an update, Nothing arrived yesterday and overnight Surprise surprise it only came into the country at stansted Airport in the early hours of the morning It was sent to Crawley Depot and was delivered to me just after midday. Result. But no copies of customs documents enclosed MSL MD is taking up this issue for me at his end.
A few things if you use Fed Ex
1/ they do not deliver after most branch closure times of 20:00 and not 22:00 as per there website.
2/ The payment is taken in Advance before it arrives in this Country and it is only an estimate which is not corrected.
3/ So Far Fed Ex have not provided me with a proper Detailed receipt for Customs Fees which they must do so you can challenge the Duty Paid.
4/ If Fed Ex do not do this they are breaking the Law.
Anyway i still stand by if MSL use Fed Ex i will go else where unless they Fed Ex produce the correct fees and paperwork.
Now i have five Loks to test now with my ESU Controller.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Reddo long time since we have conversed. I totaly agree with you it's the only way I will be able to pressure FED EX. You may laugh at the next paragraph. A few years ago I reported the CEO and her assistant to the Police for Harrasement as she could not control her staff. Ie Post people. It certainly focused the mind.i sent her a letter with the crime number it certainly focused her mind as now I have some of the most loveable posties in the Country.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi David I cannot publish the Managing Director's letter / Email. He has made positive noises at the moment.
For me it is all about tracking and the Customs charges and paperwork. If this does not get resolved to what I want I have placed tentative orders for early next year with other who will and do use DHL/ Parcelforce.
I know FedEx from old and they nearly ruined my business I will keep everybody posted
Babs
I also ment to say that the chance of getting an invoice that has been paid or the Customs document is Zilch/ Zero that's the rub as they are Scr-ing so many people and the amount is not worth you or me taking them to court.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi David Thank you for your comprehensive response Thank you.
When I have received orders from MSL via DHL/ PARCELFORCE I have always had a copy of CN23 Customs Declaration with all the commodity codes on it so I can check everything is okay.
I think FedEx have removed them so now we have no way of Checking at the moment.
I have asked the MD of MSL for a copy but as of yet he has not come back to me with a copy. I am not letting this go with the past record of Fed Ex.
I will keep everyone posted.
Babz

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi Everyone Just to give you an update. I have had some success with The Md of MSL.
If I order from MSL again the staff have been told that my Deliveries will be done through DHL/ Parcelforce which I am comfortable with because they give a detailed Customs label detailing what you have been charged for.
Now if there was Duty on there I then take it up with HMRC with the appropriate Cn23 and the invoices from MSL and of course the very simple form to reclaim the Duty.
No big deal. As I had a business sometime ago before the single market I used to import every week and nothing has materially changed from that time.
When I have resolved the next part I will keep you informed. Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone A bit of Bad News and Good, Through my own investigation and asking MSL some pertinent Questions I have got to the bottom of this.
MSL did not provide commodity Code to FedEx
Fed Ex Could not work out which country the Parcel was coming From ( DE ) = Germany ( Prats )
Fed Ex Used the Wrong Commodity Code
Fed Ex have provided me a Detailed Invoice and Fed Ex transport Documents after much pressure given by me.
Have now filled in the reclaim of Duty Form Which is (C285CDS v 4.0 )
Just sent this & relevant Docs to HMRC.
Fed Ex must be the most useless courier in the world judging by what loads of people say about them incompetence of the highest order.
Hope this helps someone now or in the future.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
David Thank you I totaly agree. They do not deserve to be in business. I do know you appreciate what I have put up. Thank you.
Have a Great weekend.
Babs
Ps David if you hold down the like button there are other emjoi's if that is the correct term. B

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi John That does not Surprise me. They are a shambles to say the least.
The person who delivered mine was a real grumpy sod as if it was to much bother. I will send you a pm.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I ment to say earlier I went to a local FEDEX warehouse near where I live. When I got there it was an Ex TnT facility and the staff are really hacked off because of the amount of complaints about FedEx directed at them. Not happy at all. TNT Where a good outfit in my flying days now the others have got there claws into them they will not have any good staff left.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
CBrooksThere is no confusion. It is a matter of the Customs agent as well as the courier it seems that MSL have given the paperwork side to FEDEX Who do not know there A- se from there Elbow. Releiving the MSL staff of the paperwork the invoices are the only bit of paperwork sent with the parcel
Now to get onto the legal bit. If your company in the Eu andwant to do business with the UK they have to be registered for VAT and have to collect taxes for HMRC on amounts of less than £135.00. After that I understand that it comes VAT free till the point of Entry into UK the Customs charge VAT and possibly Duty. The fee is charged by the courier as they effectively pay the Taxes for you for in advance.
We as receivers do not have a choice on how the taxes are paid as the UK government now collects the taxes for the UK before Brexit it went all to the EU now it all goes to GB. That's how I understand it. It also depends which country has what agreement cross border. By the way there is No import duty on Model Trains from the EU. But there is from the USA of 4% plus VAT
Babz

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Alan I think you got Lucky You only have to read the reviews online I would like to add is the Parcelforce office is only 5 minutes from where I live. Also I follow the tracking to when it gets to the local office. I then go to the office pay the Vat and the fee. I usualy get the letter long after I have paid and collected at the same time It suits me as I do not have too wait around all day for a delivery. And the staff have known me for many years.Babs

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Sorry Simon I could not resist a laughing Emjoi. They are totally useless Babs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts