Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I noticed when I ordered from MSL last week that the courier had changed to FedEx, it was on the dropdown menu for options, there was only FedEx, used to be only DHL. My order was for less than £135 and was delivered without any additional charges. A friend ordered a loco that was over that amount and he got a message to pay the charges online, I'll ask him if there was any duty.

This duty element is confusing, I new that model trains are duty free normally but what if they aren't made in the EU? I didn't think many were anymore with most production having moved to China.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Simon Can I ask you was your order delivered as per the Tracking or did it arrive late. As my Tracking has not moved since last Friday and yet it is supposed to be delivered by 10pm today. In regard the duty my order is all made in the EU. So no Duty should be charged full stop.
Hi Babz,
I got notification from FedEx that the parcel was on its way last Wednesday and that it was due for delivery Monday. On Monday I got another message saying it was out for delivery and then it arrived.
I asked my friend who had to pay VAT, the value excluding any sales tax was about £204 and he had to pay £55 so with £12.75 handling charge, it looks like it was just VAT.

You should receive an invoice from MSL showing the value of the goods so hopefully with that and some sort of receipt from Fedex you’ll be able to claim the duty back.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's probably worth mentioning too that whereas in the past it was worth putting in big orders to save the postage, nowadays it's best to put in multiple smaller orders, especially if the value is less than £135. Mind you, the way FedEx calculate the handling fee for orders over £135 may be a factor as they charge 2% with a minimum charge (£12.00?) whereas Parcel Force charged a flat rate £12.00

I have another parcel from MSL that's being delivered by FedEx, was due for delivery today but is now showing as 'delayed' and due for delivery tomorrow

·
Registered
251 Posts
I always found DPD to be the best courier company. Not sure why but the last couple of parcelforce deliveries have been without the time slot notification, maybe they struggled too much to stick to them. My last two parcels from MSL have been deliveries by FedEx and they arrived without any issues, except the delivery day changing on one. They were below £135 though so that may have helped. A mate had a loco that attracted a VAT charge and he had a lot of trouble with paying it on the website

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was due to have another delivery by FedEx yesterday, there are roadworks and a partial road closures on my road but you can still get access, the pavement is not closed. I received a tracking update to say that they had not delivered due to local circumstances, delivery not attempted. Funny thing was, ten minutes later, the Amazon courier arrived and delivered two parcels! Seems the FedEx guy just saw the road closed sign and turned around. Is now due again today so will see what happens. I have told them the road is open again after 3.30

Their updates and communication system seems a shambles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've experienced the MSL with FedEx delivery process four times now and apart from one occasion when they claimed they couldn't deliver due to roadworks when the Amazon guy turned up ten minutes later, they have all gone fairly smoothly. The last one actually arrived a day earlier than the estimate. The main issue seems to be the tracking system. A friend of mine has been less fortunate though, he had one parcel sit in the Dartford office for several days before they then sent it back to Germany for no apparent reason

·
Registered
251 Posts
I’m curious about what affect the change on 1st of January might make too. From what I read, it seemed to suggest there will be no exceptions anymore and more checks but no changes as such to the current arrangements with the retailer being responsible for charging the VAT on goods worth less than £135

1 - 12 of 12 Posts