Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts
I have a shipment arrive from MSL via FedEx during the week but as it was below the £135 threshold, it arrived as 'advertised' in the original email and the tracking on the website seemed reasonable although not as detailed as DHL/ParcelForce.

I can see that MSL will want to get the lowest cost service to them for deliveries. The thing to watch out for, and they will need feedback from us on this, is what charges the receiver pays on top of the 9 euro we pay MSL. So if FedEx go in and say to MSL we will charge you 7 Euro whereas DHL charge 8, if Fed Ex then charge us 10 Euro in charges vs ParcelForces 8, then it's costing us more (7 + 10) vs (8 + 8) - ie FedEx would literally buy the UK delivery business from MSL because they can more than make up the 'loss' they on the MSL side. In that case I would rather pay MSL the difference between their DHL - FedEx cost than have MSL use Fed Ex.

Until Babz gets a detailed invoice from FedEx we won't know if there's more than just VAT and a handling charge. Duty should not have been charged at all. It's other fees that I'm curious about - like a % of the total cost because of some 'service' they have 'provided'. Although the idea that they should charge a a% fee when nothing happens until we have paid them is tantamount to usury.

If MSL cannot be persuaded to change or at least offer the option for us to choose DHL for a higher fee, the alternatives are few. Yes we can probably buy from a UK retailer, assuming that they have stock and that the prices are reasonable but there is tendency for prices to one pound per euro which leaves a lot of room for delivery charges, even from Fed Ex.

I find myself saving my MSL bonus for locos or similar which go way over the threshold.

David

Reactions: Babz

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts
I found this page which I think relates to FedEx customs clearance charges
Import Clearance (Ancillary Fees)

Select United Kingdom as the country/territory

Then scroll down to :
Pre-Payment (Direct Payment Processing)
or
Disbursement Fee
I think we get charged under one of those two headings but the charging structure is the same for both.
There are three tiers, set by the amount of Duty / VAT.
The first two tiers have a flat fee.
On tier 1 30% of 42.50 is 12.50 which happens to be the flat rate fee for tier 2.
VAT of 42.50 implies goods costing £212.50.
The upper limit of tier 2 is £510 so the % charge at the top end is 2.5% which is the rate applying above that ...
VAT of 510 implies goods costing £2,550 which is heading for Fulgarex territory.

So if the goods are given the correct customs code for Toy Trains as Babz listed above, they come in as duty free, so we just pay the VAT on the sterling equivalent of the total invoice which includes carriage charges.

So the lowest handling rate you can get from Fed Ex is 2.5% of VAT which kicks on goods valued at £2,550. I suspect most of us will not reach that level so we're probably looking at £12.50 for most shipments.

David

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts
I am looking forward to hearing if Fed Ex fulfil their obligation to supply an invoice detailing the VAT and other charges. I can imagine HMRC would be less than impressed if there's a company out there claiming money on their behalf without providing the details.

David

Reactions: Julian2011 and Babz

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts
Thanks for posting those details Babz
I would press 'like' on the post but that seems wrong somehow for such a mess...

David

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts
The FedEx tracking is not a patch on the DHL/ParcelForce combination ...
I considered downloading the FedEx tracking app for my phone from the Google Play Store but recent reviews didn't think much of it.
TNT which is owned by Fed Ex came in for some flak in the news recently for their abject failure to deliver passports ...
All in all, a company in need of a thorough over haul...

David

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts
Their updates and communication system seems a shambles.
That is my impression as well. The 'delivery day' quoted in the first email you get seems to be 'burned in'. My last delivery came a day earlier than the original quote, not that I'm complaining but the email announcing the 'delivery today' still had the following day as the 'headline'.
For me it highlights a lack of attention to detail.

David

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts
Another wrinkle in the Fed Ex system. Check your spam trap for emails requesting VAT/Duty payments. I found a request in there this evening quite by chance, for a delivery which I received yesterday...
I've now paid it. I wonder how long it would have taken for them to chase me for it?

David

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts
I knew the rules were changing but nothing has happened so far ...

David

·
Administrator
9,940 Posts
Paperwork arrived in the post today. It shows rate of exchange for Euro to £, the VAT owed and the handling charge.
There was no duty.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts